Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!  (Read 6678 times)

Description:

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
Re: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 12:31:46 AM »
Yes I do listen to Philip Glass from time to time, it's more just that I am decidedly NOT a fan of metal, punk, Pantera, emo, or anything Grohl's ever touched...but to each his own, I am all for everyone being able to enjoy whatever it is they like.
:-)
Professional Expatriate

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 12:41:29 AM »
Well, I'm not really a punk/metal fan either.
But what is it what you like about Philip Glass Wain?
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Wain

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 04:01:57 AM »
I like the way he uses his motives (motifs depending on where you've been educated) with strings and flutes or clarinets and just runs up a trichord over and over and over again on a loop and still manages to make some really pretty motion out of it.

I LOVE Akhnaton(pardon spelling), the rhythms and meters are so bizarre, it's amazing the way he can bring them full circle into something intelligible to the listener.

and the David Bowie ballet stuff is wonderful.  I particularly like what he did with "Heroes"

Eintstein on the Beach is just fascinating (still waiting for a chance to see this, it gets performed here every once in a great while).  Of course, any opera with a 20+ minute stage cross AND where the audience members are encouraged to get up and walk around and mingle with each other during the performance can't help but be intriguing.

I dunno', I like lots of stuff about his work, but most of it I can't explain without going into music theory terms, and I don't really know what you know or don't in that regard and would rather not drown you in stuff that may be completely esoteric.

Professional Expatriate

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 12:48:33 PM »
@wain

What the heck you talking about and in what language? I have no idea what you just said! :huh:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 01:14:14 PM »
I saw Napalm Death in London three years ago, one of the best gigs I have ever been to! And yes it is the same Lee Dorrian in Cathedral (who I have also seen live in London a couple of times, they are phat!). Not really into metal now, although I still have a few of the classsics. I went through a lengthy 'art rock' stage not long after that.
And I even like quite a bit of old school hip hop now....

@ Wain
I like Glass' Violin Concerto no 2
The first time I heard it, I was driving home along country lanes at 2am and I had to pull over and turn the stereo up.
His work on Koyanisqaat (sp) is also v good.

I like Amigas

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Ah, that would be the Cathedral Lee Dorian, I forgot about Napalm's Lee

They would actally be the same guy, believe it or not (you probably knew that). What a change :crazy:

I didn't know that.  I've only seen Cathedral once - their video for Matthew Hopkins.  I think that's the only song I've actually heard by them.

Although I know Napalm Death, I don't have any of their albums (yet!), and I don't know who's in the band.  We don't get much ND coverae over here :-(
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 02:02:59 PM »
Well, the thing about Philip Glass wich I like is the Movements and Metamorphosis. They've give you an atmosphere and rythm wich is very alike nature. When I listen to it I get a bit in trance.

@Redrumloa
Wain was talking about music pieces written by Philip Glass.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 02:08:11 PM »

I like Glass' Violin Concerto no 2
hm, never heard of that one. Surely I have to try it.

@Wain & Cyberus
And you guys should try Arvo Pärt. Especially "Trisagion", "Silouan's Song", "Silentium" and "Litany"

• Original Omega User
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »

Vincent wrote:
Although I know Napalm Death, I don't have any of their albums (yet!), and I don't know who's in the band.  We don't get much ND coverae over here :-(

Don't get much coverage there?!? They are from the UK, and that's where they get most of their coverage! Not that it means very much, they never got much coverage;-)

Lee Dorian was part of the original lineup of ND, since then they have had over 100% turnover. There is not one original band member left. This is a good thing, the current lineup has pretty much been stable for 10+ years and is much better than the original linuep.

Umm.. it's funny, very funny.. I hear Cathedral and I laugh, I can't believe it's the same guy! Go out and get ND Scum, you will be shocked. I like it and it's definately a classic album, but to be honest Lee Dorian sounds like someone being gagged while they have a painful bowl movement. Don't even try to make out the lyrics by listening, it's not going to happen! It all sounds like grunts and groans:-P

Offline Wain

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 05:01:51 PM »
What the heck you talking about and in what language? I have no idea what you just said!  

:lol:

Exactly!

I should probably explain here to anyone who doesn't know that I am about to receive a Bachelor of Music degree in Composition.  So, sometimes whwn talking about music I tend to run off into the language of Music theoy.  

Aside from talking about Philip Glass, I was actually discussing some of what it is he actually does from a Theory or Composer/Music Analyst standpoint.

Ummmm...to make clearer.  A Trichord is three notes that all come after one another at some part of a scale.  Like C then B then A going downward, or E, F#, G, any three notes so long as they come after one another (there are some nit-picky exceptions that don't matter in the context of my message)

Ummmm, meter is more complicated, it's essentially how Beats are arranged and how they move in a piece.

and Philip Glass has made two albums of work composed of pieces based upon Davie Bowie songs, They are the low Symphony, and the Heroes Symphony.

Akhnaton and Einstein on the Beach are two of the three Operas he has written with Robert Wilson, all three are about a historical figure, and are REALLY wierd shows.
Professional Expatriate

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 05:10:30 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Don't get much coverage there?!? They are from the UK, and that's where they get most of their coverage! Not that it means very much, they never got much coverage;-)

:lol:  Sad but true :-(

I've been getting Kerrang! constantly for over 10 years and have only seen ND in them a handfull of times.  I was also getting Metal Hammer, Terrorizer, Raw and a few others at various times over the years aswell (soon turning to MH full-time - K! is just a tabloid rag now), and I've never seen them in these either except for an album review in MH!

Ok, the UK has some great home-grown bands, but they get crap coverage here now.  Take Cradle of Filth.  They were the UK's biggest black metal band for years, but all the mags kept going on about Deicide.  It took Cradle 3 albums to get noticed here :-(

The Almighty coverage was worse.  The Wildhearts are finally getting some coverage again, but it's still crap.  Pick up a magazine here and all you can see is Linkin Park, Metallica, Lostprophets, The Strokes, Him, Inme, Slipknot (even though they've been doing bugger all), Eminem(in a metal mag!).

Oh, and another thing about UK mags.  Iron Maiden released Dance of Death last year and all we got was a 2-page review.  That's for Maiden for smeg's sake!  No interviews, no tour news, absolutely bugger all.  The UK is utter crap for metal :-(

Anyway, I have majorly digressed, back to the point :-)

Lee Dorian was part of the original lineup of ND, since then they have had over 100% turnover. There is not one original band member left. This is a good thing, the current lineup has pretty much been stable for 10+ years and is much better than the original linuep.

The only name that I know in ND would be Barney, but I don't even know his full name, I just know he's chunky with a frizzy hair cut :-D

Umm.. it's funny, very funny.. I hear Cathedral and I laugh, I can't believe it's the same guy! Go out and get ND Scum, you will be shocked. I like it and it's definately a classic album, but to be honest Lee Dorian sounds like someone being gagged while they have a painful bowl movement. Don't even try to make out the lyrics by listening, it's not going to happen! It all sounds like grunts and groans:-P

Sounds like the stuff I'd like a lot :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Cyberus

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 05:17:37 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

They were on primetime TV once, TFI Friday for folks in the UK. Performing 'you suffer' or 'Life?', I can't remember - one of the two second songs anyway. Oh, and unless their lineup's changed, the two guitarists are American, one of them is Jesse Pintado, from Terrorizer IIRC, can't remember if the other one's from the same band....

Hmm, would you believe I used to collect Napalm Death stuff? (Well I used to collect the label actually - Earache records). I'm pretty sure they have one original member - Shane Embury the bassist. May I say, when I saw them live, the band were really cool people, they were at the bar before the gig drinking and chatting to the fans.
The ultimate was when they came on stage. There was a guy in front of me smoking a spliff, Barney grabs the mic and says, in his broad brummie accent, "Roight! We're Napalm Death. Let's fookin' have it!". The spliff goes flying into the air and the moshpit erupts to one of the most violent, yet good natured I've been in (both of these things are possible!). I felt like a nineteen year old again!

Umm.. it's funny, very funny.. I hear Cathedral and I laugh, I can't believe it's the same guy!

I couldn't believe it when I first heard it either! Have you heard Cathedral's first album? That is more like the Lee Dorrian of old, very sludgy music with growls.

Go out and get ND Scum, you will be shocked. I like it and it's definately a classic album, but to be honest Lee Dorian sounds like someone being gagged while they have a painful bowl movement. Don't even try to make out the lyrics by listening, it's not going to happen! It all sounds like grunts and groans:-P

How about the second track tho! 'Multinational Corporations, Genocide of the....Starving nations!' Classic!!!

edit: Oh yeah, their original guitarist was none other than Bill Steer, who was also the guitarist with Carcass, the best EVER death metal band IMHO!

I like Amigas

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 05:48:23 PM »
Cyberus wrote:
I'm pretty sure they have one original member - Shane Embury the bassist.

Nope, Nik Bullen and Jim Whiteley played bass on sides one and two (respectively) of 'Scum', according to the sleevenotes here.

edit: Oh yeah, their original guitarist was none other than Bill Steer, who was also the guitarist with Carcass, the best EVER death metal band IMHO!

Hell, yes! :-D

Offline Cyberus

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 06:29:01 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
Cyberus wrote:
I'm pretty sure they have one original member - Shane Embury the bassist.

Nope, Nik Bullen and Jim Whiteley played bass on sides one and two (respectively) of 'Scum', according to the sleevenotes here.

Really? I must admit, I haven't looked at the sleevenotes of my Scum LP, but in the CD I have, which is 'From Enslavement to  Obliteration' - It has the whole of Scum on the CD, as well as FEtO plus bonus tracks - it lists Shane Embury as the bassist. In any case, he's been the bassist since 1987, but I didn't realise he didn't play bass on Scum...
I like Amigas

• Original Omega User
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 06:39:19 PM »

Really? I must admit, I haven't looked at the sleevenotes of my Scum LP, but in the CD I have, which is 'From Enslavement to  Obliteration' - It has the whole of Scum on the CD, as well as FEtO plus bonus tracks - it lists Shane Embury as the bassist. In any case, he's been the bassist since 1987, but I didn't realise he didn't play bass on Scum...

Yeah really! Most people think Shane founded the band, but that is a myth. He might as well have been though, because he has been the anchor the band needs.

And yes, they are very cool people even though their politics are way far left for my view:-) I saw them in 2003 playing at a little dump hole in the wall, and before the concert Shane was walking around in front of the club mingling with the crowd. Heck in late 2001 post 9/11 after a concert date was canceled here in FL, he personally responded to a fan email I sent. They are the real deal, real down to earth people just like their fans.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 18, 2004, 06:54:22 PM »
Vincent wrote:
that_punk_guy wrote:
Dude, 'Colour and the Shape' is the real emo-type stuff they did! Trust me on this :-) The new stuff is just weak pop.

Ah right, I must be thinking of the wrong album, not the first time that's happened ;-)

Umm, I've just realised I sounded like an utter dick just then... sorry :-(