Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) Which would you prefer next?  (Read 5787 times)

Description:

Offline Varthall

• Show all replies
Re: (RFD) Which would you prefer next?
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »
It depends what would be the purpose of the files repository. If it would be just an archive of the most used and needed sw, such as drivers, guides and so on, I'm all for it. If it would be meant as an alternative to Aminet, then I'd disagree. For OS4 software we already have Aminet and OS4depot, and I always try to avoid that archives in one repository aren't available in the other one. I always upload my software on both, and from time to time I upload missing OS4 stuff to Aminet with permission from the authors, comparing file per file and uploading what's missing. All this is a lot of work, and another repository would mean even more work. From an user point of view, it would mean that he'd have to search in different repositories to be sure that a software is, or isn't, available. What I have always liked of Aminet is that it has always hosted most, if not all the existing freeware/shareware stuff available for Amiga.

If the problem with Aminet is its UI, why not just develop an alternative UI for it, with the collaboration of its maintainers?

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/