Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Logos vs Mascots (AROS)  (Read 19616 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: Logos vs Mascots (AROS)
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;597959
You still haven't explained why it needs to be "related". Roots maybe, but both have long since gone their separate ways.

If it's simply that you don't like the font, fine, but I don't get why you keep using the above word.

well, one has gone its way and the other isn't going anywhere at all :)

I am prepared to be wrong, but I don't suspect there's a lot of AROS use outside of ex-amiga users.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: Logos vs Mascots (AROS)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;598082
Not exactly aros use but I was suprised to see Aros included in the other os's listing in a computer book I have at home. I don't know if the authors are ex-amiga but it is possible I suppose. Or they were just searching for any and all other os's.

As for this discussion I think that Aros can go both ways.
There is no real reason that Aros can not be the user friendly, small, good looking os that linux tries to be. Linux is Unix and is complex, confusing in many ways to newcomers, and is splitting more and more between the distros. If Aros had a good easy to use and complete web browser, Office package, and printing utilities, my Mom would use it right now. Whereas one of my brothers (an anti-MS linux fanatic) tried to setup linux for her and it ended up being to much for her.

Aros can also be the AmigaOs related os for all us ex and current amiga users. Slick and smooth with built-in UAE and all the nostalgia we can muster (anyone got an old a4000t case I could abuse?)

All that said, I don't really care about logos. Case badges are where I'm at, but I like them simple and clean.

To shoot over 5% market share on the desktop an OS needs to:

Be sold in stores pre-installed.
Be made by a corporation.

Any alternative to windows and mac (BEOS, linux, aros, etc) in the desktop consumer market must compete with people pirating windows, office etc. You can't compete with theft on price, and people only go for an alternative if they have an interest in this stuff.

That's okay though. As we talked about in another thread, aros doesn't need mainstream success to be good.
Work on porting applications, improving hardware compatibility etc. Make things better for the geeks and retro fans who like it.

Linux does as well as it does, because it's in the embedded market, the super computers, the servers, cell phones etc. Desktop users are just one part of the package, and a reasonably minor one at that.