Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will OS4 have SMP after all  (Read 32438 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Will OS4 have SMP after all
« on: July 23, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
Will OS4 get SMP?

Maybe, but not before A*** does.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
Quote from: dammy;741846
That sounds rather odd since you are the Team Leader for AOS4.

Sort like being some-what pregnant. Since Hyperion is a professional OS company that's been around for what, nearly two decades, I would expect to hear exact terminology that is used by industrial professionals around the world.  It's only what, two people in that company, it's not like some marketing weasels were running their mouth before asking software engineering department if that is indeed possible and within the product's roadmap.

The A1X1K has been out for a significant period of time now.  IIRC, the explicit reason for picking that CPU was to create a platform for SMP development of OS4 nearly 4 years ago (late 2009 for prototypes).  That's a long time IMO, so I don't see the "suddenly" apply to a question about the current status of SMP in OS4, more like just remembering something said long ago.

BTW Steve, will you be at AmiWest this year?

I heard he will be demoing SMP on OS4 at AmiWest.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
Quote from: ssolie;741885
I never promised any such demo.

Well i heard that someone is demoing an SMP Amiga OS. My source is never wrong.

Will you be there?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
Quote from: ssolie;741884
I call myself the AmigaOS Development Team Lead for AmigaOS.

That wording implies you gave yourself that title.

Surely the Frieden brothers are the actual development leads based on amount of code committed and actual design and analysis drawn up prior to development?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;741893
Why does it have to be AROS related?  Maybe is Morphos related? ;)

Maybe it's Umilator v2 related? ;)

I heard Bernd will be there this year.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:24:02 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;741894
tim,

to go off-topic a bit, you planning on making it to amiwest this year along with dammy? at somepoint next month i should start a thread on here so folks interested in coming can talk about it.

-- eliyahu

Do you know if there will be a web stream this year for us that can't (or aren't allowed!) to make it?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;741900
there usually is, at least for the presentations. last year was really tough because the internet access at the location was glacially slow. in previous years i've given a play-by-play of the keynotes on IRC if the video stream was down. a few days before the show, someone will post info on the video/audio streams.

oh, and everyone is allowed at amiwest. it's a lot of fun. even bill mcewen is welcome. :lol:

-- eliyahu

Oh I'm sure I'm welcome but my missus says I'm not allowed! ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;741911
Oh that would be great news. ;)

Yeah, I can't wait to see the public reaction to the Amithlon killer! Bye bye OS4 and MorphOS! ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;742067
bernd meyer? is he cooking something too? thats news, also i thought spilling the beans is disencouraged.

Well it might be Harald Frank.  I'm not sure.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;742054
We have ways of making you talk ... :):hammer: :rtfm: :roflmao:

I stopped taking drugs 10yrs ago but any truth serum you give me wouldn't have any effect. Neither would violence. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;742073
Damn you :lol:

I really wish I knew what Bernd has to show but I guess
I can wait a little bit more :)

It might not be Bernd. It could be Harald, or it could be MOS-Team or even der Frieden zwillinge. ;)

£1m into my offshore Jersey savings account might let me tell you though. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742390
forbid() is part of the exec.library API, and loads of Amiga software uses it as it is a quick and simple way of locking a resource and making sure your operation is atomic... But for a while now, AROS devs have been encouraged to use alternative locking methods that don't freeze the system.

Also there is no issue with AROS 68k or any other AROS port if AROS gets a working SMP implementation, if the system only have one CPU it will work just as AROS/AmigaOS does now... And key to any implementation is that is doesn't break older software anyway (even if that means the older software might be slowing down the newer software, if that is an issue, don't run the older software or rewrite it to take advantage of the newer systems).

What if a modified exec was running on top of a modified Linux kernel that enabled SMP by distributing Amiga processes across various cores?

A kind of Amithlon on steroids? ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742419
Earlier you complained about AROS using UAE as a virtual machine, because of the fact that it would keep the 68k and native environments separate. But now you talk about the QBox, which would be a separate environment from the ABox (what you currently know as MorphOS)... There would be no mixing of environments if the morphOS guys ever decide to develop the QBox side with a user space...

Not neccessarily.  Who knows what they would do and how they would do it?

There are many ways to skin a cat as you know Matt. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;742319
Troll! :razz:

Everyone knows OS4 is the holy grail of modern computing, you Commie Terrorist! ;)

:lol:

Surely Minix with AmiWM/X11, Ken's Icons and UAE with AROS 68k is the true future? ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742433
UAE on AROS and native AROS apps shared a graphical user interface too... That was kind of the point :)

The advantage of the 68k emulation in AOS4 and MOS is that the 68k and PPC apps live in the same environment and can share libraries etc... It is only possible because the 68K and PPC are big endien...

I don't think you realise that the AROS UAE integration is supposed to be pretty seamless to the user... You might never know UAE is actually running!! :)

A clone of Trance with seamless byte-swapping would be nice.  Shame Emumiga never got off the ground. :(