Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To the acer aspire one users...  (Read 2584 times)

Description:

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
To the acer aspire one users...
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:57:56 AM »
Some questions...

Whatching the temperature i see two temps: cpu and diode cpu, whats the differentce? diode cpu is more hotter than the cpu temp.

Whats the memory ram limit? 1gb + internal 512kb or i can add a 2gb sodimm + internal 512mb?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot the model, aspire one 150
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:01:06 AM by kickstart »
a1200 060

Offline Chartus

• Show only replies by Chartus
Re: To the acer aspire one users...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:57:28 AM »
I have HP Mini 110 so I might be wrong about your machine.  I would use the 'diode cpu' temperature.  On PC processors it is built in the chip itself.  I am uncertain what the 'CPU' temp is.  

When i upgraded my memory in my mini I had to remove a 1gb sodimm and install a 2gb.  The memory limit for mine is 2gd.  Probably the same for you.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »
Internal (diode CPU) and external (CPU) temperature, with respect to the CPU itself. Quick and dirty efficiency ratio? I.e. 100 - 33C / 39C ~= 15% efficiency. I have no idea if that's valid. ;-) It could just be telling us the effectiveness of the fan and heat sink.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:58:32 AM by Trev »

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;619796
Some questions...

Whatching the temperature i see two temps: cpu and diode cpu, whats the differentce? diode cpu is more hotter than the cpu temp.

Whats the memory ram limit? 1gb + internal 512kb or i can add a 2gb sodimm + internal 512mb?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot the model, aspire one 150

I have an A110 (A150 is based on it) and don't monitor the temperature but based on experience with older PCs they are usually  two different sensors, not for the same chip (i.e. CPU). One is sitting on the CPU the other is on the is on the northbridge (connected by the FSB) which typically runs faster than the rest of the mainboard.
Basically on my old PC this would mean the CPU, chipset (usually northbrige), harddisk and PSU temperatures are monitored. You can easily tell which is which immediately after turning it on by the descending heat order - CPU hottest, chipset next (watch out tho', occasionally depending on cooling this may be the hotter than the CPU, but is usually cooler on startup!), PSU (once it's been on for a bit), HD after much disk access or instead look at the part of the driver or controller the sensor is on to tell.

In my experience on an old overclocked Athlon 2600 XP I get up to 67oC CPU, up to 60oC chipset, 50 and 50 for hard disk and PSU under very heavy load - the machine has ran for nearly 7 years like this. The Atom is designed to go up to 90oC so I wouldn't worry about temperature especially as it's designed to run without a fan for as long as possible to lower battery usage - it probably wouldn't kick in until it reaches 65-70oC.

Regarding RAM limit I have 1.5GB internal (I upgraded - you need to be very careful opening it up!), occasionally I use the built in MMU (only stated here for Amiga fans ;) ) to add a few GBs of swap space which is treated by the (Ubuntu) Linux kernel as extra memory - a dedicated partition/device used to be fastest for this, so effectively you could say you have 3GB memory (or whatever is displayed as the total by the "top" command line tool). As a general rule swap should be 1-2x actual physical memory unless you're running many many large processes. The disappointing bit now - the internal SSD (on mine) and SD card slots are very slow. If you need swap you should try and put it on a very fast USB device which ruins the look of the netbook - try and get above 20MB/s write. Then again the A150's hard disk could already be many times faster than my internal SSD and capable of this - I don't know as I don't have one :). You can adjust the usage/priority of this swap memory by adjusting the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness. If you are using Windows XP however you are somewhat stuffed as you can't prioritise its usage and it won't show in total memory (although this may be more of a misnomer anyway).
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.