Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA Alive ?  (Read 41527 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Commodore USA Alive ?
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
SO if they're really gone what's going to unite us?  Does this mean red v blue v AROS is back on?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Maximius

• Show only replies by Maximius
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 12:39:24 AM »
hi,

the amiga mini barebone is missing now too? that's incredible. Are they going to restore it or not?

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:12 AM »
Quote from: persia;711820
SO if they're really gone what's going to unite us?  Does this mean red v blue v AROS is back on?

Windows 8?

:p
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline amiga1084

• Show only replies by amiga1084
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »
Who Cares!!!

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;711818
The sad thing was, this is exactly what we were trying to point out to them right from the start, except they were trying to cover it all up.

They might have had a chance selling cheap PCs equipped with Windows and/or Linux and configured to play retro games right from the desktop... and stated just that.

All of this fluff about their own "OS" coupled with what was obviously rebadged existing  hardware, marked up to skyhigh prices and configured/assembled by an amature was going nowhere.

Didn't they have one single person who knew something about the computer market working for them?

I'm afraid that Barry (whatever his intentions) seemed to think selling computers was like selling coffee tables:  You by them as cheaply as you can, mark them up and resell them.  Unfortunately the margins on furniture are not the same as those on computers and you don't need to provide 24 hour tech support on a sofa.

As for the lies, he makes Pinochio look like Mother Teresa.

There has been a lot of fluff over the OS. This comes from their forum.

Unfortunately, incompatabilties were found with COS with the newer hardware, and a new version is in development.
Your computer can run a multitude of OSes other than COS, and it is regrettable, that at this point of time there is a requirement for your intervention and effort to install one of these.
The lack of a working COS, however, should not have prevented you from using your computer in the meantime with any number of free operating systems available over the internet.
I believe that at least a version of Mint is being installed on machines in the meantime.
I wish I could give you an ETA, but a more realistic answer is 'when it's done'.
I would be highly surprised if it is not available by mid November, a year after its launch.
Commodore OS (in its current incarnation) is provided for free to everyone.....and we are making best efforts to support our hardware.......

This is not the first time that they have admitted that something is wrong with the OS. I have seen a few other posts saying that they were having issues with it and were trying to get COS Fusion, basically a ubuntu build with a Mac like dock and some wallpapers, out to fill the gap. But now it looks like they are dumping that and sticking with just Mint.

The entire OS thing has obviously been far too much for them to handle and why they felt they needed it I don't know. They should have just done the original plan and dumped Ubuntu on them.

Quote from: Maximius;711829
hi,

the amiga mini barebone is missing now too? that's incredible. Are they going to restore it or not?

Oh didn't you know the Mio is the Mini mk2?

The Amiga Mio is more like the Amiga Mini version 2.0, rather then an entirely new product. They both have the same motherboard, it's just the Mio is IMHO laid out better and easier to work on..
Other improvements are the case design allows more airflow for better cooling, there is now a built in SD card reader, the eject button on the Bluray drive is functional, it comes with an IR remote and receiver, and not only does it handle a second hard drive, but we've already installed the cables and everything, so its incredibly easy to install a 2nd HD or replace the first one..

Must be really difficult working on a prebuilt machine lol. But I feel that they realised just how much of a pain it was to do laser etched stuff and probably thought it was easier to stick to pre-builts. Don't forget the Mio went from been the Vic Mini and Amiga Mini for a brief spell.

Quote from: amiga1084;711840
Who Cares!!!

We don't it's just funny. And besides this is in it's own little section now so why bother posting ;)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
It's been a bit quiet on the CUSA front. Are they still alive? I just checked their store and the only thing they feature are the Vic slim and the barebones C64x. What happened to the Amiga mini and the other Amiga line HTPC's they were bringing out?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Toasted Sandwiches.

Offline persia

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
Reading their forums it would appear that they are in the middle of yet another product reshuffle. Someone mentioned something about a new 1000x and keyboard, I would assume this is the one that dammy tried to tout a while back, but nothing more than that. After that c-net interview thing they also claimed that they were trying to promote their custom config thing where people becaome dealers. So far nothing has come from that.

Offline persia

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:38 AM »
No product, no Baron nor Big Ben Aussie, they appear to have reached the end of the line.  Let us morn C=USA.....

Gangnum style!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;714793
Reading their forums it would appear that they are in the middle of yet another product reshuffle. Someone mentioned something about a new 1000x and keyboard, I would assume this is the one that dammy tried to tout a while back, but nothing more than that. After that c-net interview thing they also claimed that they were trying to promote their custom config thing where people becaome dealers. So far nothing has come from that.

That C-Net effort was a feeble attempt to push their "Emu Eggs" on an unsuspecting community.  I emailed C-Net about that piece and asked them whether they actually researched the people they interviewed beforehand or whether they wanted to be held liable for the losses these "dealers" might face when they discovered they bought into a bad deal based on C-Net's apparent endorsement.

They never replied. :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
Quote from: persia;721920
No product, no Baron nor Big Ben Aussie, they appear to have reached the end of the line.  Let us morn C=USA.....

Gangnum style!

LOL.

I wonder how Ben was getting paid.  They couldn't sell enough products to meet his wages, let alone the rent on the office, etc.

Oh well, they wont be the first company to go belly up for trying to dictate to the customers rather than listen to them and deliver a product that someone actually wants.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »
It's simple; they engraved a C= logo on some pennies, increasing their value by hundreds of dollars.
How do you think they financed their $30M marketing budget?

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;721974
That C-Net effort was a feeble attempt to push their "Emu Eggs" on an unsuspecting community. I emailed C-Net about that piece and asked them whether they actually researched the people they interviewed beforehand or whether they wanted to be held liable for the losses these "dealers" might face when they discovered they bought into a bad deal based on C-Net's apparent endorsement.

They never replied. :)

It's funny because when the article first appeared I sent the author a tweet showing the original case. His response was to call me a troll and I didn't know what I was talking about with fake products. I then sent him a set of links to Barry gems on here and Amiga world and never got a reply.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;722040
It's simple; they engraved a C= logo on some pennies, increasing their value by hundreds of dollars.
How do you think they financed their $30M marketing budget?

Damn, why couldn't I think of something like that?  :D

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 11, 2013, 04:46:45 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;722047
It's funny because when the article first appeared I sent the author a tweet showing the original case. His response was to call me a troll and I didn't know what I was talking about with fake products. I then sent him a set of links to Barry gems on here and Amiga world and never got a reply.

He called you a troll???  Strewth!  I wouldn't be surprised if the author had been "bought and paid for".  I should have sent someone higher up with C-Net an email and suggested that their author was possibly participating in a scam in exchange for money... or just completely useless at his job.