Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What *nix is compatible?  (Read 13802 times)

Description:

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
Re: What *nix is compatible?
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »
NetBSD is the only OS which is up to date. The Debian folks are working on it, but it's next to impossible to bootstrap anything resembling a recent Debian.

In the next week I'll be trying to collect a set of instructions for setting up UAE with NetBSD. And since NetBSD is completely free and unencumbered, I'll also make available a pre-installed NetBSD 5.1 disk image, too.

I'll post back here during the week.

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:15:00 AM »
I just came across this thread. I'm sorry I never got back to you folks :(

I do have the occasion to make a few test images which can be used with UAE (with whatever it takes to make MMU support work) or can be written to disk, CF card, microSD, whatever and used with a real Amiga.

Since NetBSD 8 is coming any day now, I'll make an image with NetBSD 8 which boots, runs dhcpcd to get an IP, starts sshd and allows access to a generic user account which can su over ssh. Two gigabytes should be a good minimum.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Requests?

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »
Well, there's some good news. It seems that FS-UAE can now properly boot and run a NetBSD image with a few extra options to set the controller type and the disk type to be SCSI. What I haven't figured out yet is how to network with the emulated A2065 ethernet card, and searches offer almost nothing that talks about host side networking configuration.

Perhaps I'll make a separate post about that...

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;834541
I believe Amiga Unix is available some where.

Sure, but 1) compiling modern software on AMIX is hardly straightforward, and 2) it only runs on pre-AGA Amigas, and not on m68040 or m68060 accelerators, and only supports certain SCSI, graphics and networking cards.

NetBSD/amiga runs on any Amiga with an MMU and at least 8 megabytes of memory. Want to run nginx, Apache, python, et cetera? Want to run an email server? Not a problem.

We should have a NetBSD/amiga image soon :)

Offline johnklos

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
I thought it deserved its own thread:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73126

Packages and window managers will come soon :)