Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally tried AROS  (Read 5267 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: Finally tried AROS
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »
AROS and Amithlon are two different things. Amithlon is 'WinUAE in steroids' i.e. it runs 68k AmigaOS and is designed to run original 68k programs at maximum speed. AROS is meant to run native (i.e. native x86 programs on x86 machine) programs at maximum speed and programs are compiled natively for your CPU.

AROS/68k runs only 68k programs, AROS/PPC only PPC programs, AROS/x86 only x86 programs etc.

And I think 'integrated UAE' to run 68k programs on x86 AROS is bollocks: the concept is not proven to work.

My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: Finally tried AROS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »

The 68k version would be patched so that intuition/graphics/dos library calls would be passed through to the x86 AROS...

This involves endianess problems in a way it is not possible map functions like OpenWindow() to the x86 AROS... making rendering calls to gfx lib is impossible because struct RastPort is not blackboxed and could have bigebdian pointers like the font, bitmap, layers, tmpras...

It is (of course) possible replace kickstart rom code in UAE by native x86 code but possibilities to co-operate with the host OS are very limited... share filesystem, share settings, maybe even let 68k programs have appicons on Wanderer but I think that is it.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook