Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Black Widow
The Black Widow
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This is my modded A1200. The pictures are a bit old but they´ll do as I´ve not made major changes to this unit since except for external addons.

Things to come will probably be an internal scandoubler, internal soundcard and a flatscreen monitor aswell as an internal laptop CDRom when I can get my hands on a slot in version for about 0 or so $.

The mods are quite a few as you can see but I´ll try to mention a few: custom trapdoors made out of metalmesh found on old speakers, silver letters and details found on the scrapheap from an Audo100 2.3 and Citroën. Black keyboard from a CDTV, cut-out and installed custom ´Amiga Window´, installed blue glowwhire (had to modify the case internals to fit), Added small feets (found in hardware store to help slide things so had to add rubber underneath to prevent the unit from sliding), Rearange leds and changed colors aswell as ´dimming´ them with a black pen, painet the hole unit black (duh). I´ve probably forgotten something so keep your eyes peeled.

It was shown on the AmiGBG04 fair and it should be to find in a swedish paper too somewhere I think.

Anyway... I did my best but I can tell you some of these mods and changes where nerve wrecking and there are a few parts I´m less happy with but over all it´s OK and look good enough for me. :-D

Enjoy and hope it´ll give you some ideas for you´re mod project. :)
Picture Stats:
Views: 3439
Filesize: 292.68kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Brian at September 09, 2004, 03:22:23 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (13)

Oldsmobile_Mike
February 15, 2011, 08:16:47 PM
I like it!  Would like more pics of the "Amiga" logo (did you cut the whole thing out, and install some kind of clear acrylic, and then the blue glow wire behind that?), and also the inside.  How's it powered?   (blah blah blah, too glossy, as a photographer I know exactly how a camera flash can make things look glossier than they are in real life)  Good job!!
ddniUK
December 03, 2007, 02:21:13 PM
Yes sometimes the most time consuming things are also the ugliest.

Sorry, your A1200 mod is a travesty.

Tower your A1200s Mod the tower and keep the original plastics safe somewhere... Dont destroy art!!  ;-)
jj
November 14, 2007, 12:52:39 PM
Im not against modding,  but I am going to be brutally honest.  Im guessing this took you a long time, but it looks really tacky and awful.

What have you used for the writing next to the LED's, correction fluid ?

Sorry to did you obvious hardwork, but the original A1200 looked much better
rkauer
March 26, 2007, 05:23:24 AM
I like it.
Homer
January 21, 2007, 07:48:29 PM
I must say I'm not a fan of painted cases  :-(
leirbag28
June 30, 2006, 05:02:53 AM
I suggest Painting over everything with a Clearcoat of Matte finish and it should reduce the shine greatly and still be black......it will look more like a CDTV black.

just make sure the Clear finish is not the kind that yellows.
Narayan
January 07, 2006, 12:54:04 PM
It's,- it's either a pipe dream, - ae, - ae, - or I'm wrong.
nagaflas
June 07, 2005, 08:11:47 AM
What an original concept.

And the Genesis joypad adds the finishing touch.
Brian
October 25, 2004, 07:13:10 AM
The glare is not so much a problem in real life as it is in taking pictures with flash on. Also the "audi badge" realy fit very well... I guess the pictures doesn't quiet do the machine justice.

Sadly it's B1260 card just died on me one day for no aparent reason... no heavy CPU load and CPU had heatsink so don't know what it is with it. Currently have a GVP1230 card instead but it's not exactly satisfying.
Ni72ous
September 26, 2004, 06:01:46 PM
Love the keyboard, but as others have said, its a bit shiny, also i dont think the Audi and Citroen badges quite work.
Brian
September 13, 2004, 09:16:01 PM
I just happened to fall over a black slimline CD with a 2.5" IDE interface for 3$... guess what's next on my list of things to do with this project. :-D
Brian
September 09, 2004, 06:22:21 PM
It is a bit shiny with clearlacque yes but the flash magnify that by 10 or so.

In normal daily use I don't notice it but unfortunatly on the pictures it do stand out a bit.
Cyberus
September 09, 2004, 03:45:40 PM
Nice project, I was looking at a pic of this the other day on your site IIRC.

The only teeny criticism, is that its a bit shiny, or is that just the flash from the camera that produces that effect....?