Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Of Thrones  (Read 11485 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Game Of Thrones
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 09, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
The US beats out bastions of Democracy Cuba and Russia in incarceration rates!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Quote from: persia;756690
The US beats out bastions of Democracy Cuba and Russia in incarceration rates!

True, we can afford them.
And our lenient rules involving weapons purchasing don't always promote civility.

Come to think of it, we probably have a higher murder rate than those two countries.
And I would still rather be here (in fact, as of late, Colorado sounds nice).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;756683
Only if you have something to hide.
I have always found the IRS a breeze to deal with.
Just don't jerk them around and you are fine.

The point is power to direct the IRS to audit someone who disagrees with your policy as a veiled threat is an abuse of power. Something a king might do.

Its not about IRS process. Unless they have the ability to find things that weren't there.

Offline KesaTopic starter

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
A prime minister/president could just as easily do the same. Maybe not offically though. Remember that humans are irrational by nature meaning that whether it is a king or not makes no difference.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
True, the US incarceration rate is still lower than Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Soviet Union.  But something is terribly wrong if you have to invoke Hitler and Stalin to make your numbers look good.   Even as a pro-gun control person I don't think the reason America has so many people in prison can be the loose gun laws.  

I've only visited America, it wouldn't be on my top 10 places to live, but I think the incarceration rate is more likely due to unsettled race issues than anything else.

Quote from: Iggy;756709
True, we can afford them.
And our lenient rules involving weapons purchasing don't always promote civility.

Come to think of it, we probably have a higher murder rate than those two countries.
And I would still rather be here (in fact, as of late, Colorado sounds nice).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Quote from: persia;756775
True, the US incarceration rate is still lower than Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Soviet Union.  But something is terribly wrong if you have to invoke Hitler and Stalin to make your numbers look good.   Even as a pro-gun control person I don't think the reason America has so many people in prison can be the loose gun laws.  

I've only visited America, it wouldn't be on my top 10 places to live, but I think the incarceration rate is more likely due to unsettled race issues than anything else.

That is OK, more more people want to move here than to Australia where everything that swims, crawls or walks is poisonous.

You don't need an adversarial relationship with your government when nature itself is that dangerous. :uzi:

The only redeeming thing I ran into during my visit was Victoria Bitter (and that can be had in New Zealand).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline persia

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
To be fair we have race issues as well, but with an empty centre we can just sort of lose Black people there.  America doesn't have that so they have to imprison their Blacks.  But in the end it's the same thing, we're both going to end up paying for it at some point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:41 PM »
Well I certainly don't want to appear to be endorsing our jail happy/execution happy system of justice.
And I wonder how many of the prisoner across the US jailed for marijuana convictions feel about the recent turn of events in Colorado.

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 02:14:10 AM »
Quote from: persia;756811
To be fair we have race issues as well, but with an empty centre we can just sort of lose Black people there.  America doesn't have that so they have to imprison their Blacks.  But in the end it's the same thing, we're both going to end up paying for it at some point.

Not trying to be a spoil sport here but outright racism probably won't go down well here. There are better ways of phrasing your opinions.

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 02:33:45 AM »
Looking back on this show after watching all 3 seasons i changed my mind. Now i kinda do like it. Yes they use shock tactics for plot twists but these work well. I also like how they gradually introduced the magic (except for the dragons) into the series. Only towards the end of season 3 did they start using magic as a story device which was a good idea as it gives the show a completely new direction to go in. My main criticisms are that the story is a bit weak and it's too difficult keeping up with who everyone is. Almost every episode introduces new characters so it's easy to get confused.

Offline persia

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 02:52:21 AM »
Not trying to be a spoil sport here but outright racism probably won't go down well here. There are better ways of phrasing your opinions.

It's sarcasm, what we do and did to Aboriginal peoples here was and is appalling, much of it is hidden by distance.  Few people have been back in the wilds of the Northern Territory to see it.  American has a similar appalling heritage, their prison system is full of Black males.  It 's a way to put a tag on them that allows discrimination.  If they have a criminal record you can refuse to hire them, refuse to rent to them and in many states take away their right to vote.  

Both countries have some bad karma that will come back to them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »
Quote from: persia;756830
It's sarcasm, what we do and did to Aboriginal peoples here was and is appalling, much of it is hidden by distance.  Few people have been back in the wilds of the Northern Territory to see it.  American has a similar appalling heritage, their prison system is full of Black males.  It 's a way to put a tag on them that allows discrimination.  If they have a criminal record you can refuse to hire them, refuse to rent to them and in many states take away their right to vote.  

Well, we both have British roots.
its not like the concept of second class citizens is something we invented. :sealed:

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »
Quote from: persia;756830

Glad to hear it. Damn you misinterpretating internet!  :angryfire: