Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making music w/Paula  (Read 4075 times)

Description:

Offline BlatboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Blatboy
    • https://www.jwalterhawkes.com
Re: Making music w/Paula
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 29, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;669374
You're welcome.  I felt much the same as you...although I was into synths in the 1980s, by the time 1990 rolled around I was deep into traditional Celtic music (rather than Bebop) and actively avoided electronic music and synths, etc.

Because of this I missed out on the full potential of trackers and chipsounds, which I only came to appreciate (re-appreciate) once the Amiga was a retro-computer.  I sort of feel I didn't take full advantage of the potential offered by a simple Amiga 500 and a tracker in the late 1980s and early 1990s (I thought I needed expensive external sound modules, multitrack decks and keyboards and things I couldn't afford at the time).  I had the "...if only I had the (insert latest and greatest piece of gear or Amiga expansion here) I could *finally* make professional sounding music..." syndrome, instead exploring the potential of what I had on my desktop.

In my own defense, this was before the days of the web when you could help from other Amiga users, so the first time I opened a tracker (without the benefit of a user manual) it looked like an intimidating machine language hexadecimal editor of some sort.  I left trackers alone for many years because of that.

I'm still seriously into traditional Celtic music, but now can appreciate both genres (and many others) and I don't mind combining sounds from the two.

I discovered the wonderful Bars & Pipes rather late (1997-ish) but I really love it and still use it all the time (it works great under emulation) for MIDI work.

By the way...your animations and great. What software you use to make them???

Seems you and I had similar timing and experience.  I never really checked out a tracker before that I remember.  I think I would have felt the same way as you.  I'm tempted to try it now.  I think it would be a great exercise both for some perspective of how the music was created then and also to gain a certain understanding of the basics of sampling.  That's the thing about using technology that's a little closer to the bone... (lower level, in programming terms) since you're working with the basics, on their terms (as opposed to something more user friendly) you get a firmer grasp on those basics.  Er, in theory at least.  (certainly holds true with audio gear... if you've worked with the analog boxes, the modeled digital plugins are much easier to grasp.)  I mean, now a days it's no big deal to know how to use a sampler, but to know something about how sampling works, that's a different thing...

Man, I loved Bars and Pipes.  I was working with some pretty cheap MIDI gear, but I had fun and had no idea just how well it prepared me for what I do now...

I mostly work in Logic now, though I toy around with some other software too.  I trigger Hardsid via MIDI to a PC...use audio out from there and hook it into audio inputs of the audio interface attached to my mac.  That's how I'm planning on using the A500 too.  

From what people are saying here, I'm gonna try to get my hands on OSS.

Thanks again for all the great information.  I spent some time on YouTube last night checking out demos.  Fun stuff.  The music is actually much slicker sounding than a lot of the games... pretty amazing what they were able to do...
I just ordered Amiga Forever and will be going through my bins of cables to see if I've got a null modem when I get back in town.  Flood gates will officially be open then...

Offline amiman99

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
I think you are looking for something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XDk91IIh4
Real chip music on Amiga using Paula and AHX Tracker.
Also, Octamed does support Synth sounds as an instrument type, I personally dont know how to make my own Synth sounds :(
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Synthsounds on OctaMED only work in 4 channel mode.  Plus they are essentially just short samples that can be switched between in the middle of a note.

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;669542
Synthsounds on OctaMED only work in 4 channel mode.  Plus they are essentially just short samples that can be switched between in the middle of a note.

People seem to say this in an almost disparaging way but this is a very powerful method of synthesis.  You can change this waveform every cycle if you have a fast enough processor and you could even make it different every time you play it.

Being able to change waveform as it plays is done by wave table synths but vey few can "morph" it into a different wave.
Some analogue synths can do it but they're very few and far between (and expensive).  You can also use this technique to recreate the sounds the Casio CZ synths made.

The end effect is far more powerful than playing back static samples.

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;669471

I wish there was a program that allowed you to assign different sound samples to the keys on your keyboard, or movements on a joystick. That or maybe something that allowed you to tweak the noise via a Paddle Controller kind of like Cynth Cart for the C64.

For keyboard triggering I used NAPS (New Amiga Sample Player): check out Aminet; is in there!

BY!

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »
Quote from: minator;669564
People seem to say this in an almost disparaging way but this is a very powerful method of synthesis.  You can change this waveform every cycle if you have a fast enough processor and you could even make it different every time you play it.

Being able to change waveform as it plays is done by wave table synths but vey few can "morph" it into a different wave.
Some analogue synths can do it but they're very few and far between (and expensive).  You can also use this technique to recreate the sounds the Casio CZ synths made.

The end effect is far more powerful than playing back static samples.

Wow, I am impressed, minator! Just curious, how hard is it to get these Casio CZ sounds? Anyone, ever made an Amiga Emulator-ish-type-thing? LOL!
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 01:55:49 AM »
Quote from: ognix;669567
For keyboard triggering I used NAPS (New Amiga Sample Player): check out Aminet; is in there!

BY!

Will do! Thanks!

Edit: can't find it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:58:22 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline BlatboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Blatboy
    • https://www.jwalterhawkes.com
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »
Quote from: ognix;669567

BY!

ooooooh sounds good.  I'll check that too.  Thanks!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
Quote from: Blatboy;669576
ooooooh sounds good.  I'll check that too.  Thanks!

Lemme know if ya find it! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
Opppss.... sorry!
Typo!
It's not NAPS but NASP!  :)
It's here:
http://aminet.net/mus/play/NASP_1.lha

BY!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
Woo hoo! Can't wait to check this out! Thankx! :)

Quote from: ognix;669600
Opppss.... sorry!
Typo!
It's not NAPS but NASP!  :)
It's here:
http://aminet.net/mus/play/NASP_1.lha

BY!

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;669432
Oh this is shocking:

Reniose FAIL

"While it is possible to use the computer keyboard to enter notes in Renoise, it is not velocity sensitive and can only map two and half octaves at once. "

OSS Win - reads all kinds of touch sensitive data and key-ups. I love this feature for keying in piano parts.

Sorry, Off subject.

Not sure how this is a "fail" for Renoise.  No PC or Amiga keyboard I am aware of is velocity sensitive.  Plus since  there are only about 12 keys across the QWERTY row of a keyboard, of course it can only map two and a half octaves at once (I don't think OctaMED is much better).

OctaMED has the same limitations as ReNoise when using the QWERTY keyboard to enter musical notes.

I think you're assuming they meant an external MIDI (piano type) keyboard when they were actually talking about the QWERTY keyboard in the above quote from the Logic manual.  I would be very surprised if ReNoise could not accept velocity data and the full multi-octave note range when entering music via an external MIDI controller keyboard, just as OctaMED can.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »
Quote from: marcfrick2112;669572
Wow, I am impressed, minator! Just curious, how hard is it to get these Casio CZ sounds? Anyone, ever made an Amiga Emulator-ish-type-thing? LOL!

I don't know if it's actually been done on an Amiga. Just that it should be possible.
Paula is more powerful than most people think, in combination with software makes is even more versatile.