Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS  (Read 33694 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS
« Reply #104 from previous page: March 03, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;619104
Agreed.

But in order to support the development of a "custom" OS they need a stronger business model than the one they are currently presenting. Sales based on nostalgia isn't going to be enough to drive that kind of development.

Only time will tell...

Depends on which line your talking about.  C64x?  Vic series?  Amiga series?  If your talking nostalgia for Amiga series, your quiet correct, there isn't any to tap into for the number of unit sales Barry is looking for.  That will require something more special with excellent marketing.  

For right now, just watch what happens with the C64x as that is the first product line to get the full effort.  Vic and Amiga series will follow afterwards but you should be able to tell how it will all be done using C64x's launch as a benchmark.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »
@ Dammy

Still waiting for the answer... Was it eXfuze or AROS you were distributing... :D

Offline dammy

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;619116
Baby steps, Persia...baby steps.  Dammy has a lot on his mind to go looking too deeply at the glorious twists and turns that are linux distributions.

Then you tell me exactly what C=USA is planning.
Dammy

Offline dammy

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2011, 05:17:10 AM »
Quote from: Franko;619176
@ Dammy

Still waiting for the answer... Was it eXfuze or AROS you were distributing... :D

You are being a lazy git.  Go hunt the answer down like a good little stalker, I am not doing the work for you.
Dammy

Offline Franko

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19:58 AM »
Quote from: dammy;619179

They're planning to rip as many gullible folk off as they can by selling an off the shelf parts PC running an emulator at (most likely) ridiculous prices and adding the various brand names to make it look legit...:D

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
You know, I think this is the only conversation that actually has anything to do with the Commodore in this thread. ;)

ANyhoo, I wrote the guy, thankx for the link!

Quote from: TheGoose;618879
I'm getting 2 assembled! It is way better than that crap SID2SID.
"Second SID can be either 8580 or 6581 with any C64"

And it will work with MESSIAH too...

Read over the site, email the guy, he does PayPal, pretty reasonable I think.

To hook back into the subject if there's one still left, I think we are doing pretty good without a true mothership company, just look around. I think decentralized community / platform(s) is what will work, and be fun.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2011, 05:38:21 AM »
Quote from: dammy;619179

WELL, then!  Lemme tell ya!  They are planning on arriving way late to every party.  The whole PC clone market was done back in the early 2000s.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
Quote from: Franko;619182
They're planning to rip as many gullible folk off as they can by selling an off the shelf parts PC running an emulator

Thats better than ripping gullible folk off with parts that aren't even good enough to be put on the shelf to be put in a PC.

As PC hardware is at the cutting edge & is the cheapest, it would seem financial suicide to do anything else (see X1000).

Alienware seem to do quite a good job of selling an off the shelf parts PC for a lot of money.

Offline Franko

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;619210
Thats better than ripping gullible folk off with parts that aren't even good enough to be put on the shelf to be put in a PC.

As PC hardware is at the cutting edge & is the cheapest, it would seem financial suicide to do anything else (see X1000).

Alienware seem to do quite a good job of selling an off the shelf parts PC for a lot of money.

No knowing who or what "Alienware" was I googled it... :eek:

If they can sell PCs at those prices then my beliefs have just been confirmed, folk who buy such PCs are either gullible, naive, rich, not very bright, just plain stupid or any combination of these... :D

Offline Franko

« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Hmm... is there a point in having that "report" button here, kinda pointless removing the pathetic remark made by Dummy_2 about Dammy in the other thread and leaving this one here (post 112). reported it a couple of hours ago but it's still there... :(

(maybe it's something to with the lack of mods around here these days, some of them seem to have fallen off the edge of the earth... :))

(thank you (whomever) for removing that very offensive post... :))
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:18:00 PM by Franko »

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
Quote from: dammy;619153
Depends on which line your talking about.  C64x?  Vic series?  Amiga series?  If your talking nostalgia for Amiga series, your quiet correct, there isn't any to tap into for the number of unit sales Barry is looking for.  That will require something more special with excellent marketing.

Until a new business model emerges, they will still be subject to criticism they are receiving now. And, honestly, I can't think of any model in this day and age that can. I doubt, for example, that Barry's funds are any where near that of Google's.
Ed.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;619280
Until a new business model emerges, they will still be subject to criticism they are receiving now. And, honestly, I can't think of any model in this day and age that can. I doubt, for example, that Barry's funds are any where near that of Google's.

we'll see once the sales start.

I think C-64x and VIC-Book will do very fine.

New business model isn't needed because the current one hasn't yet been tested.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;619280

I doubt Barry's funds are even anywhere near those of Franko's ebay account.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
Android on the Desktop?  Might actually make sense, especially with a All-in-one like the HP Touchsmart.

But it's hard to see what party C=USA wouldn't be late to.  Introducing new desktops in the beginning year of the tablet wars.  Introducing media pcs in the year of internet TVs, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Franko

« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;619292
I doubt Barry's funds are even anywhere near those of Franko's ebay account.

Ere... how do you know how much dosh I've been spending on evilBay lately, (I've been hacked by Nickerlass...) :eek:

Even had a phone call from the bank on Tuesday they were about to freeze my accounts cos they thought someone had stole my details and gone on a spending spree... :)

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;619290
we'll see once the sales start.

I think C-64x and VIC-Book will do very fine.

New business model isn't needed because the current one hasn't yet been tested.

So exactly, IF C64/VIC do good (no reason why they shouldn`t, no reason why they should either as there are many PCs in many nice cases) THEN CUSA Amiga will be launched at all ELSE everything will be wapor as usual. Tan and see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycI_Hw2zNcY
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja