Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 controller  (Read 5544 times)

Description:

Offline SchoenfeldTopic starter

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
During the first months of this year, we were totally surprised by the overwhelming demand for Catweasel MK3. All stock has been sold, and even our retail partners do not have anything left in stock. The demand was so high that one controller even went for more than 150,- EUR on eBay!

Unfortunately, it turned out that a new production run of the existing MK3-design cannot be done for reasonable prices, so a re-design became necessary. The new controller is now in the first stage before mass production, so we're confident to be able to show the first controllers at the Amiwest show on july 24th and 25th in Sacramento, Califoria.

Many improvements have been made compared to the Catweasel MK3 that can be summarized under the headline "bigger, better, faster".

Read all about the new controller on the individual Computers website.

Should that server be down due to regular maintenance this weekend, please use this alternative link.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Re: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 co
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 08:31:38 PM »
Cool cool cool.
I've been tempted by one of these babies for a while.
The size and the price are *very* agreeable
I like Amigas

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 09:33:46 PM »
But unfortunately the software support probably won't be so agreeable (at least it wasn't with the CW3), and Jens doesn't make it any better by alienating platform users over petty personal squabbles.

Offline AmiDog

• Show only replies by AmiDog
    • http://www.amidog.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 06:40:35 AM »
Well, this is what the homepage says:

The Catweasel MK4 is delivered with drivers for Linux, Windows 98(se)/ME/XP/2000, Amiga OS4, and for Mac OS X at a later date. MorphOS drivers are available for a surcharge.

Looks like most platforms are supported...

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 12:19:47 PM »
Well, this is what the homepage says:

Quote:

The Catweasel MK4 is delivered with drivers for Linux, Windows 98(se)/ME/XP/2000, Amiga OS4, and for Mac OS X at a later date. MorphOS drivers are available for a surcharge.

I think what Kenny was getting at was the fact that for all platforms (supported or planned for support) EXCEPT MorphOS get their drivers for free (Yes I know its the developers perogative) and it probably does little to help an already fragmented community
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 12:42:24 PM »
The game controllers of the Amiga CD32 can now also be used on the Catweasel

Excellent! :-)

I too have been tempted by one of these for a while, and after looking at the full spec of the MK4, I'll DEFINITELY be getting one now!

Steve.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 01:18:55 PM »
Can't wait until I can stock these! I get requests for MK3/4 almost daily, excelent product!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline KennyR

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 02:19:12 PM »
Amidog wrote:

Classic Amiga and Amithlon are not, if you notice. Also MorphOS users have to pay extra for drivers, probably because of an argument Jens had with Genesi over renting a room years ago that should have been a complete non-issue for any mature person.

One OpenPCI version of the driver would cover MOS, Amithlon and Amiga Classic PCI all in one go, and probably OS4 later too. I can't see why Jens doesn't go this route.

Offline Jope

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 05:25:21 PM »
Well, Jens' hardware is usually documented, so you can write your own driver if you so wish.

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 07:05:01 PM »
After being attacked @ ANN, Jens posted:
"To be honest, I already regret having offered MorphOS drivers. I better leave everything up to the MorphOS developer pool, and not have to deal with persons who lack basic communication skills. It might cost me a few sales, but the gain is infinitely more valuable: I'm free of people demanding stuff from me.

You want drivers? Make your own. The Catweasel MK4 is not designed for MorphOS or the Pegasos. Any support is experimental."

It seems that Genesi (including DCE facilities) is all they need...
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline KennyR

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »
Yeah, far be it for anyone to support their own hardware. We shouldn't ask too much of Jens. The poor baby.

Perhaps Jens would like to explain to us why anyone would want to buy his hardware when we have to supply our own drivers? Or when his actions are obviously so petty?

Maybe next week one of Hyperion will look at him the wrong way and suddently CW4 'won't be designed for OS4/A1 any more'. You never know.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 07:17:26 PM »
We shouldn't ask too much of Jens. The poor baby.

Come now Kenny, is that really called for? Who knows what went on between Jens and the Genesi, but if he doesn't want to develop MOS drivers that's his choice. People don't get furious when Nvidia doesn't make MOS (or AOS4) drivers, because it's expected. The vast majority of MK4 sales will be to Windows users, that's the brutal truth.

I have nothing against either company, I am a resller for one and customer of the other. I'd like them to get along and for their to be world peace, but neither seem likely to happen any time soon;-)

Offline KennyR

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 07:27:05 PM »
Is it called for? Well, sort of. You see this has really pissed many people off, and there are loud murmurings of MOS-based developers doing the same with their software - allowing everyone to use their stuff for free, and charging OS4 users. If there was a way to divide the community further, stunts like this are great. Jens isn't supporting MOS because it's impractical, he's doing it out of pretty obvious spite - he could support multiple platforms just by using OpenPCI! I'm sorry I ever bought my CW3 from him now.

And he's talked himself out of better support for the CW4 SIDs from the MOS side - if you remember itix was the first to support CW3 for Frodo, and left the open source for anyone else to do the same. Needless to say he can't do this again for CW4 if its 'not designed for' the machine he uses.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 11:29:47 PM »
Aside from the usual politics squable, I'd like to say w000000000000000000000000000t.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 12:08:50 AM »
and there are loud murmurings of MOS-based developers doing the same with their software

Been there, seen that, old news. Many MOS developers openly refuse to do Amiga versions. That's fine and all, can't really argue people should do something they don't want to.

Don't get me wrong! As both a Pegasos owner AND a reseller I'd love for their to be free native MOS support, but it is what it is. No sense of pointing the finger of blame directly at Jens when there is more than one party involved. Maybe Jens doesn't want to make drivers under OpenPCI, again his choice.