Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga (Platform Studies) [Hardcover]  (Read 10731 times)

Description:

Offline motrucker

Re: The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga (Platform Studies) [Hardcover]
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 13, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
Quote from: RobertB;680921
There it is again... :(  If the description is referring to Commodore 8-bit computers, many were used by business and in education... e.g., the San Francisco Unified School District and the University of California, Berkeley.  Commodore 64s - used in educational institutions, like the Fresno Adult School (between 100 and 200 set-ups), Tulare Union School District, Portland (Oregon) Public Schools, and more.  Also C64s were used in places like the Lawrence Livermore Lab and by the military, like at the Fort Benning Army Base in Georgia.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Not at all uncommon. This area, (Central Maryland, Washington D.C.) used the C-64 in most of their schools. High Schools in this same area used Amigas, later on and many Video Toaster systems!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Quote from: RobertB;680921
There it is again... :(  If the description is referring to Commodore 8-bit computers, many were used by business and in education...

To be fair tho, that's the perception now, and it was at the time I remember.
Also, I don't think it's wrong for a generalization..

What can be missed tho, is that you could (and many did) use your "friendly and childish game machine" for business and education.
You could also use your "boring, beige adult box" for games.

My mom frequently did my sister's legal documents on our C64 using the Fleet System 2 Word Processor.  Even tho, that C64 was basically a game machine.  ;-)

And when the family got a PC with Word Perfect, I can tell you that many a game of Thexder was played on it..  ;-)

I'd maintain that the images of the C64 as game machine and the IBM as a business machine are fair generalizations.  Doesn't mean that each can't do a bit of the other.
And personally, I'd generally give the edge to a game machine being more flexible, because moving graphics around and playing sound is a lot of work.  ;-)

Now, the Amiga was interesting at the time in that it was "both" from the start.  It had the eyes and ears of a game machine with the graphics and sound, but it's mind and heart were equally impressive for business with the memory, multitasking and GUI based OS.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
The above was true for my household back in the 90's...  I used my Amiga 500 for Final Writer stuff sometimes, but predominately my Amiga was solely used as a Games machine once I got a Pccceeeee I used it for Mircosoft Word..   I played the Shareware version of Doom as my first Pcceeee game on a 386.... Wasn't really amused by it and thought oh thats a bit pixelated and beep beep crappy sound..  So the Pcceee was used for Business applications until I got a Pentium 100 with a more serious video card.. Then I slowly stopped using the Amiga for games sadly..  but now these days games are too complex and a bit boring so back at the Amiga games for really really addictive off the bat games!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
Has anyone read this book? How does it hold up?

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;693074
Not at all uncommon. This area, (Central Maryland, Washington D.C.) used the C-64 in most of their schools. High Schools in this same area used Amigas, later on and many Video Toaster systems!

I can remember seeing an Atari 8-bit prompt on the local cable system's info channel back in the day. Before they went Amiga. :-) I also knew a local newspaper that used Apple ][s for their writers. We sold them Amigas for display ads and the classifieds.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg