Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you own besides Amiga?  (Read 6952 times)

Description:

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show all replies
Re: What do you own besides Amiga?
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
Quote from: easy_john;728715

I would like to have more of the old hardware, but here, in large Russian cities are quite expensive apartment (I pay about 230 thousand usd mortgage for 40 square meters), and my wife would kick me from house if I bring home something more. :)
So i use some custom computers house to keep minimal used space: http://easyjohn.livejournal.com/107601.html

I have some space issues myself--a collection of electronic gear accumulated over the last 25 years or so and not much space to keep it in. I stopped using desktop PCs and have been using Thinkpad laptops as my main PCs for the last 10 years. Lately, I have been collecting PDAs--mostly Palms, Palm is now gone and like Amigas, there will be no more made. I also have a couple of the better Windows Mobile PDAs. The great thing about PDAs is that a good collection of them fits on a small bookshelf. And they are cheap.

Ironically, the only desktop computers I have are my Amigas and my Atari Megas and they do take up quite a bit of space. Especially the A4000T I bought last week. I thought the A2000 was big, how little did I know. It is in great condition and has no functional issues, the problem is where to put it. It looks like I am going to have to do some carpentry and move an applicance a couple of inches to make room for it and it is still just barely going to fit.

Quote from: commodorejohn;728726
Lately I've started collecting MIDI gear as well; I'd forgotten until recently that MIDI was actually pretty good until everybody started using that wretched Roland sample set that ships with Windows. (And now Microsoft doesn't even want to let you use anything else!) I've got four pieces of gear, but there's no reason to assume my collector instincts won't have gotten me more by the next time this thread gets resurrected:

• Roland MT-32 - classic Sierra/LucasArts synthy noises! I need to learn my way around editing custom patches.
  • Yamaha TX-81Z - classic DX-style FM tones with some extra versatility added. Shame it's not General MIDI-compliant.
  • Korg 05R/W - really nice wavetable synth, and I say that as someone who really isn't normally a fan of wavetable synths.
  • microKORG - probably the closest thing I'll ever get to a Minimoog...

My interest in electronic music predates my interest in Amigas by a few years. It actually goes back to the late 70s when I was a teenager. MIDI indirectly led me to the Amiga. I had to take a music course at one point to graduate, and there was an electronic music course offered. I thought it would be just theory and history but the school actually had an electronic music studio with 2 analog modular synthesizers, a DX7, an FB01 and an Amiga 500 with sequencing and scoring software. I didn't like the Amiga for sequencing but it had much better color graphics than the Atari 1040ST I had at home.

I have a Micro Korg too. They have a really unique architecture and as analog monophonic synthesizers go, are quite good and very underated. They are really good at rough, rock band/punk type sounds. My nickname for the Micro Korg is the Rude Boy
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.