Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moon rock's 'biography' revealed  (Read 1083 times)

Description:

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vincent
Moon rock's 'biography' revealed
« on: July 31, 2004, 01:55:32 PM »
I'm not a big fan of astronomy, but I know some of you guys and gals are...
The violent history of a meteorite from the Moon has been charted for the first time, Science magazine reports.

Analyses of the rock's geology show it endured three giant impacts, before finally being hit so hard that it was catapulted into space.

The rock's composition also allowed scientists to pinpoint its place of origin - the Moon's Imbrium Basin.

Never before have scientists been able to describe a lunar meteorite's travel itinerary in such fine detail.

BBC Science/Technology pages
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Moon rock's 'biography' revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 02:06:27 PM »
Doh!
they seem to have forgotten to mention why that meteorite is important!
By precisely dating(*) Mare Imbrium, the youngest of the large meteorite craters on the moon to 3.9 billion years ago;
this is a key event, because life on Earth would have evolved only after the `heavy meteorite bombardment` ended...(the crust would have been molten)

(*)By analysing beryllium and carbon isotopes it told how long the meteorite was in space after it was launched from the moon and how long ago it fell to Earth.
By tested it with a Geiger counter, they found it contained high levels of radioactive uranium, thorium and potassium. The ratios between these elements fit only one enigmatic group of lunar rocks called "KREEP," the acronym of K for potassium, REE for rare earth elements, and P for phosphate.
 The Imbrium impact basin on the lunar nearside is the only area where KREEP rocks are found. This is known from samples returned by the Apollo missions and by NASA's Lunar Prospector Orbiter radioactivity survey in 1998-99.