Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Software that has moved to the PC (free and otherwise) that no one with a PC should be without  (Read 5208 times)

Description:

Offline tony23

• Show only replies by tony23
@amigamad
"I stopped using winace after it kept saying all my files were corrupt i got winrar instead and download a patch to allow opening of lha files"

Cool, I didn't know about the patch for winrar. I'll check it out .Thanks for the tip. :-)
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
@amigamad

I stopped using winace after it kept saying all my files were corrupt i got winrar instead and download a patch to allow opening of lha files.

Magellan Explorer from Enriva handles lha archives out-of-the-box as they say, and so does the Windows version of Directory Opus of course. Otherwise lhant from Aminet does the job well enough.

I just need dms and lzx for the pc now. :-)

No archivers for either but you can find a dms unarchiver here. As for lzx, a google search for "unlzx" will produce a number of hits, but I'm not sure anyone has compiled it for Windows yet. The lzx algorithm was used by Microsoft in their cabinet file (.cab) format. (Jonathan Forbes who wrote lzx, then went to work for MS, who bought his IP to use in their own technology)
Bill Hoggett

Offline DarkHawke

• Show only replies by DarkHawke
Ya missed a big one: WarBlade is the PC version of the classic Amiga game Deluxe Galaga, done by the man himself, Edgar Vigdal.  Trust me, it's everything you loved about Deluxe Galaga and more, even though it's still in beta release.  Still, this is as polished a game as you're gonna find in the PC world and has made my own platform transition a whole lot less traumatic.  Check it out!
\\"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: \\\'It might have been!\\\'\\"
     -- John Greenleaf Whittier

Amiga.  Wish the world could have known.

Offline tintin

• Show only replies by tintin
Probably one of the most succesful ports to PC (and Mac for that matter) is Newtek's Lightwave.  I couldn't be without.  If I remember correctly ADPro went on as Elastic Reality on the PC, don't seem to use that much anymore though.  As far as file type compatibility is concerned Photoshop can load and save Amiga IFF just fine.

Offline tony23

@ tintin
Quote...

"As far as file type compatibility is concerned Photoshop can load and save Amiga IFF just fine."

Well I don't know where I'm going wrong then because I just tried to open an Amiga IFF file in PhotoShop 7 just to see, and I can't see how it can be done.
in the...
(Open/ files of type: All formats) requester gadget, IFF is not listed, they have lots listed for your selection but no IFF , they do have TIFF listed maybe this is what your thinking of, and if there is a way to load IFF images into PhotoShop without first converting them I'd sure like to know how. I can't even see the file that I know is there. So how are you loading IFF's into PhotoShop ?
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline DonnyEMUTopic starter

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
Both photoshop and lightwave and even maya supports IFF files. They are still a standard in many 3d animation projects..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

tony23 wrote:
@ tintin
Quote...

"As far as file type compatibility is concerned Photoshop can load and save Amiga IFF just fine."

Well I don't know where I'm going wrong then because I just tried to open an Amiga IFF file in PhotoShop 7 just to see, and I can't see how it can be done.

I used to be able to do this exact same thing, but after some upgrades to the hardware/software at my work, and after some time had passed from when I had once done it, I find I am no longer able to do so.  It might have been a plug-in, or an option in Photoshop 5 or 6?  I'll check again tomorrow if I have time.

Good luck,
Mike
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline tony23

Hi ,Well maybe you could please explain how to load an IFF pic into PhotoShop7 when I can't even select the file. I'm sure I must be missing something here because I have an IFF file that I can load in PaintShopPro but in PhotoShop7  I can't even see the file in the requester.
So can someone please explain this ? The file does not show under ALL FILE TYPE's and there is no IFF selection when opening a file.
I'm sure there must be a simple explaination so if anybody can shed some light on this, I'd reallly be thankful. Thanks  :-)
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline tony23

Edit
Posted twice?
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline tony23

Hi , I'm sure you guys must be right about this but how do you get to load an IFF into PhotoShop7 ? When I go Open /All file type's I don't even see the IFF file that is there and I'm able to load it into PaintShopPro no problem and its not availible in the file type requester of PhotoShop either , IFF is not listed. So please, can someone tell me where I'm going wrong with this. Please  :-)
Thanks
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
Out of the box Amiga IFF support has been dropped in Photoshop 7 in favour of a plugin solution.

Additional import formats available with plug-ins on the Photoshop 7.0 CD-ROM:
- Amiga IFF

Offline tony23

Thanks Krusher, that explains alot . I thought I was going crazy or something. :-D
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
Framiga - Time to put away the crack pipe! VT[2] sucks??? Sure, there are cheaper NLEs around but do they come with kick-ass 3D software and great video paint program? Do they allow switching with up to 8 live streams of video? Do they integrate as a frame buffer with LightWave, Aura, After Effects, 3D Studio Max, Premiere, Digital Fusion & DFX+? As far a stability goes, VT has VERY specific hardware requirements (as do most pro-level NLEs) and if you can meet or exeed those it runs like a dream - I've never experienced a single crash with the Video Toaster [2] and as for quality - how can a D1 video NLE system get better than uncompressed???  :-?
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline tintin

• Show only replies by tintin
Hmm, I seem to have caused quite a commotion with my claim that you can load and save IFF's in photoshop.  IFF's can be loaded into Photoshop, as long as Photoshop's Amiga IFF plug-in is installed. For some versions of Photoshop, this isn't installed by default, so you have to add it by hand.

Offline tony23

Edit>
It posted to wrong thread...
Weird ?
whoops not...
@Aegis, What I think Framiga was talking about was the Pal version. I can't comment on the Pal version though being in North America. :-)
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
Re: Amiga Software that has moved to the PC (free and otherwise) that no one with a P
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 02, 2003, 10:27:13 AM »
Actually, they're one and the same - The VideoToasterNT came as an NTSC or a PAL/NTSC package (and VideoToasterNT was a disappointment 'cause the only NewTek software included was a crippled version of LightWave and Aura 1.0 - the editor was Speed Razor) but all recent versions of the VT (2 & 3) are PAL/NTSC (I'm a PAL VT user btw...). It seems quite expensive but when you take into account that with the new VT[3] you get a full seat of LightWave 3D 7.5 and Aura, you're virtually getting the hardware and the awesome VT software for free! I used to work with Avid equipment and there's nothing an Avid can do that the VT[3] can't - now that's power! And let me tell you, when that 'Toaster desktop is hiding Windows I'm be damned if it doesn't feel like I'm using my Amiga again...  :-)

Here's a grab from my dual-monitor setup for those that are interested...

Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.