Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 68k development - components, critics, bugs, work-arounds, tips&tricks  (Read 46710 times)

Description:

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Separate thing I've noticed in 3.1.4:

I have a rather large file: 2,287,031,227 bytes.  The size shows up correctly in the Information window and shell.  But in Workbench view by size, it shows up as ,007,936,069.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Great -- another bug squashed!

I have a rather large file: 2,287,031,227 bytes.  The size shows up correctly in the Information window and shell.  But in Workbench view by size, it shows up as ,007,936,069.
Apparently, another signed/unsigned mixup. I fixed it.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Took me awhile to find some hard drive to play with.  I see it happening in Format 40.2 (3.1)  and 3.1.4 (46.14) but in 3.9 (Format 44.19) I do not see this behavior. Quick format does not get ghosted out in the second partition in 44.19 at the completion of the first partition's quick format.

I ran each of the "Format" versions in a 3.9 booting env. -- so it is clearly in the Format code.

And as Thomas has pointed out it does not happen if partitions are non-invalid (i.e. already have valid volume names).

Partition up a disk with HDToolBox - two partitions.

Reboot.

They both show up as "unititialized".

Select both.

Select "Format" from the icon menu.

Notice how both Format windows, one for each partition, has "Quick format" as options.

Select "Quick format" on one of them.

Answer all confirmation requesters so the partition is formatted.

Let it finish - it is quick.

The partition is now formatted, volume icon shows up on Workbench.

Notice how _THE OTHER_ Format window, for _THE OTHER_ partition now has "Quick format" grayed out - EVEN AFTER FIRST FORMATTING IS FINISHED.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Was seeing if any clues in the "Format" release notes in the NDK 3.9 and found the following.  Though not sure if this means much since there is no way to look at this code to figure out what is being said below.

Code: [Select]
-- OS 3.5 release ---

Format 44.14 (7.12.99)

- rework

- Starting format with more than one WB parameter now correctly closes all
  windows. This is a ugly hack: the main window is closed and reopened
between
  formatting two devices. Too much work to make it nicer (Did you recognize
  that selecting two icons from WB and using menu Icon/Format Disk starts
  Format two times?)

- Removed broken handling of inserting/removing disk while main window is
open.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

This is regards to copy in 3.1.4.1.  Attaching 2 screenshots:

1) On Workbench, I copy a directory called "INTELLIFONT" and there is some issue with one of the files and so I get an error requester.  The error message is somewhat confusing as it mentions error copying "INTELLIFONT" but error is really from the file DESIR***** --> see picture for actual name.  Would be nice to have the requester say the filename with issue and to let user know that only the single file is not going to be copied.

2) I also tried to copy same file in shell and get similar message that object cannot be found.  For this name, what is wrong or why can't it be copied?

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Yes, I'm using CrossDos.  The source file is coming from a USB stick but I have poseiden setup to use crossdos.

2) I also tried to copy same file in shell and get similar message that object cannot be found.  For this name, what is wrong or why can't it be copied?
It cannot be copied because you specified the file name incorrectly. ~ is a wild card for pattern matching. If it is meant to be a literal, you need to place a ' upfront it. Actually, from how it looks, this seems to be a mangled file name from a FAT directory. Are you copying from CrossDos? It should resolve such strange file names and provide a full FAT file name.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Yes, I'm using CrossDos.  The source file is coming from a USB stick but I have poseiden setup to use crossdos.
Then either something is mangled with the setup, the stick or crossdos. Is it possible to share the image so I can have  a look why Crossdos doesn't resolve the long file name? Which version of crossdos?

Attaching the file in *.zip from windows.  Need to unzip from windows so the name stays the same.  If I do it on the Amiga, unarc from 3.9 changes the name.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

It actually came from this ISO image:

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-freshfonts-2

Attaching the file in *.zip from windows.  Need to unzip from windows so the name stays the same.  If I do it on the Amiga, unarc from 3.9 changes the name.
No, not the font file. I mean an image of the stick, sector wise. I do not know how to get that with windows, but from Linux, it is a straight "cp" from the /dev file, i.e. "cp /dev/sdd /tmp/out.img", assuming that /dev/sdd is your usb stick.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

Yes, it was with Windows 10 (Iso image gets mounted by Windows).  I'm attaching a screenshot from Windwos of the names that show up.   From their I copied it to a USB drive.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

The filename in windows looks like character 233 (Ө) for MS-DOS (PC-8), code page 437:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

and for 233 decimal in Latin-1 comes out to be é

So that I think is making sense that é shows up on the Amiga but still don't understand why the non-8.3 filename (long filename) does not show up. 

I forgot to mention that this is crossdosfilesystem 45.36.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

In regards to P96 for classic, wondering 2 things when comparing to OS4.0:

1) OS4.0 has a CyberVisionPPC driver -- is this ppc native and if not would it work on 68k?  And wondering why P96 on 68k doesn't have driver if it was developed on OS4?

2) For the screen dragging in P96, this has probably been discussed but wondering what was done in OS4 to support screen dragging?   Was this an enhancement in the OS or P96 to enable that?