Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 1960 monitor  (Read 2866 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: Commodore 1906 monitor
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
Quote from: kirk_m;834611
I have a 1960 monitor that still works, but, it's seemingly getting glitchy.  It makes a popping/whining noise on powering on and video mode switches.  Not terribly loud, but, noticeable enough to make me think there is a problem.  What typically goes bad on these?  I can bring it to a TV repairman for a once over, but, I'd like to get an idea on what I might be facing before bringing it over there.

Thanks!

Kirk

the flyback and high power fets usually develop bad solder joints,if you run it long enough this way it will die. I suggest u have someone resolder any suspect joints on the board.recap it while you are in it.  I had one 1960 from a guy who ran it so long the fet burned up and turned to powder and burned a 1/2" hole in the pcb. i did manage to repair it though.

Offline mechy

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:22:08 AM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;836248
Sad but it happens. I have a monitor graveyard for the Amiga and I kinda lose a couple every year it seems. I have a 1084 that has just started whistling and another that is giving out a very strange noise. I first had the issue on a Philips, but in those days I knew a guy that could repair them. If you can get it repaired I would cus my Philips that was repaired is still going fine.

Just as an aside I had this Samung flat screen monitor develop the same problem and did get it repaired. I haven't had a monitor last more than a few months after the whistling starts. So depressing. They generally just stop working and go black and lifeless.

I do have one Commodore monitor that refuses to give in. It is like fleurescent red and blue on screen and you cannot read it until I give it a big whack on the side and then she comes back to life. I use it with a C64. Been like it for years.... no whistling though.

sadly 50% of these monitors could be saved if people would quit using them when they first show symptoms and fix them.

Bad solder joints happen so often on them,and when you beat on them often its enough to make contact,but the joints carrying high current get hot due to the resistance and run until they arc and burn.

Bad solder on the flyback causes arcing and just does damage the longer you run it.

the last 1960 i was given the guy ran it until the FET fried itself and burned legs off and burned a hole in the pcb.

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 07:13:10 PM »

Is this unfixable?  I can take it all apart and look, but, need to know what I am looking at first.  What is the white cylindrical component that has the burns around it?
I fixed said monitor,and it was a nightmare. If you aren't familiar with these monitors please don't mess around in them. There lethal high voltages. Most cases they can be repaired but finding someone to take it on these days is tough. If you find someone,bring them the schematics.

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 07:22:57 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I think it is time to try and repair   this monitor.  For the last few years, I've been more into arcade cabinets than Amiga.  I've repaired quite a few arcade monitors during this time.   This monitor is different, though, since it has its own SMPS versus relying upon an isolation transformer built into a cabinet.

Several times in this  thread, @mechy mentioned the FET being an issue in the ones he's repaired.   @mechy , are you referring to Q403 (a 2SC4123 located on the heatsink/shield immediately next to the flyback transformer)?  Is this transistor the HOT?   I've pulled this transistor and tested it via a diode test on my multimeter, and it is shorted.  What I've learned from arcade monitors is that if the HOT is shorted, there's a problem somewhere else that is causing it.  Where to look next?  I plan on first recapping things,  but, if it's the flyback that's out, is that an unobtainable part?

Thanks!

Sorry,i am not a expert by any means on this monitor.. this was 15-20 years ago,i recall i replaced the transistor with a cross..irf640? 680? 840? i dont recall. I can't tell you if it was Q403 but i seem to recall is was somewhat in the middle of the board?.Seem to remember some bad diodes i replaced and caps. Sorry i can't be of more help! i see a flyback here,page claims to be updated but looks..eh?  https://www.technotronic-dimensions.com/Products2c.html

It lists some flyback numbers that could be searched elsewhere maybe.

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »
Good luck,it will be interesting to see what you find! I hope you get it fixed.