Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request about OS Development  (Read 26549 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Request about OS Development
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;833657
Now where did I put my 'grumpy old man' GIF....   ;-)

It appears AmigaKit just sold out their most recent batch of Vampires in one day... again. When the standalone comes out that will start another wave of adoption.

as others said. amiga is good for what it does, because of legacy and backwards compatibility. and it applies to vampire/apolloas much if not more then to the other options.

now, throw out shared memory space and messaging by pointers in order to get some memory protection..

throw out amiga os legacy balast for contemporary features, you will lose that compatibility and will get some sort of linux distribution. already enough genuinely missing components of amiga os, such as networking are just ports from other systems, for instance bsd. i cant imagine a realistic way to achieve a new "amiga os" other than simply putting together a choice of existing open source software. btw, it will become as bloated according to the features you expect. there are poeople that complain aros takes 10mb disk space (without fonts) and doesnt run on bare 68000, you know?

considering above, there are the vlid options:

1. stay with what you have or follow the consevative improvement patch based on ganuine sources, as proposed by thor and olsen.

2. design an open os as compatible with the genuine and incorporating as much modern features as possible, which is aros.

all else is insane.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;833671
Low-level primitives such as "message passing" are nice, but not quite on par with the requirements of today, namely isolation between processes. One would never do it this way today. It was simple, effective, but is also completely insecure.

but this is, for better or worse, one of still unique characteristics of amiga system, change all that to whats considered modern, and youll get some kind of linux or similar.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;833670
Have you ever seen chicken "running" without head?

as thor writes, some chickens can run without a head for some while.
you might as well consider "democracy" a chicken without a head for the lack of strong leadership.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;833675
I can't identify ONE person that is responsible for "direction" of development.

if you refer to os4 as amigaos, then the responsible are the owners of hyperion entertainment.