Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request about OS Development  (Read 26214 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: Request about OS Development
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:55 AM »
You must be new around these here parts.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
Eh, PPC doesn't run 680x0 natively, does it?  Doesn't MorphOS and AmigaOS4 have an emulation layer for this?  Why can't AROS?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
Obviously there's a difference in man-power and funding, but has anyone done an analysis of how Apple moved MacOS from PPC to Intel and the application of those ideas to AmigaOS?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;833417
Well, you kow how to become a millionaire? Be a billionaire, and inverst the billions into Amiga development - it's really so easy. Apple had money, funding, and a paying customer base. Now look. See the difference?

I already conceded to your point, and that's not what I asked in the first place.  I realize the flights of fancy surrounding the imminent resurgence, rebirth, and market domination of Amiga can get people overly sensitive to the question, but that was not my intention and normally I wouldn't even go through this amount of explanation were it not for the level of respect I have for those still developing on Amiga.

I simply asked if anyone had done an analysis of what Apple did and realistically applied it to what could or would need to be done with AmigaOS.  Apple really hasn't kept things secret since the move was done.  Seriously.  People analyze stupid shyt all the time and make hour-long YouTube videos and lengthy tech blog posts, so it would stand to reason that someone might have done such an analysis, if only to put it to bed forever.

It's easy to dismiss the whole idea as "not enough money, not enough people, not enough time," but the technical aspect alone I would imagine would intrigue someone.  While it does intrigue me, I lack the necessary experience and knowledge to break it down the way it deserves.  I know there are a number of lengthy, in-depth write-ups of the Apple move to Intel, and while I understand while reading much of what gets put out there I would be lying to the universe if I said I had the necessary skill-set to do a proper analysis.

EDIT: I also realize we would be looking at a three-fold move: first from the old OS9 way of things on PPC including running 68k, the move to BSD-based OSX with OS9 compatibility, then the move to Intel.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:52:06 PM by LoadWB »