Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request about OS Development  (Read 26701 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: Request about OS Development
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:24:49 AM »
Quote from: Papa6;833382
This may sound stupid but can the OS be developed for the x86_64 CPU's?

You would lose backwards binary compatibility with old Amiga software then, that's the major point why we are using PPC.

And backwards compatibility has been the major issue why AROS hasn't got more popular over all these years...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

Re: Request about OS Development
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;833398
Eh, PPC doesn't run 680x0 natively, does it?  Doesn't MorphOS and AmigaOS4 have an emulation layer for this?  Why can't AROS?

MorphOS and OS4 only emulate the CPU, but nothing else. They are otherwise API compatible with AmigaOS 3 and old software run under PPC native OS without recompiling. Old programs use PPC native libraries, GUI toolkits, etc, which makes them really fast comparing to UAE environments that emulate the whole Amiga machines/OS/components. This kind of solution is only possible efficiently because PPC and 68k have the same endianness, and that's not the case with x86/x64.

On AROS (x86) you have to use UAE based solution for classic software. It is slower because it emulates the whole machine, and what is worst in my opinion, is that 68k programs run isolated from the main OS. You can't use 68k libraries, device drivers, shell commands, etc under AROS like you can do with MorphOS/OS4. Programs can't interact with ARexx etc.

On AROS you have to re-compile everything you want to run under AROS itself, and I think that's the main point why AROS had so slow start despite the lead of years, because there just weren't source codes available for all you need. On MorphOS and OS4 we had to use a lot of 68k binaries to fill the gaps on native software selection. Nowadays less, but I still use pretty much 68k stuff in my everyday system. But without this kind of transparent integrated compatibility MorphOS and OS4 wouldn't have got anywhere ever, and it's still what appeals many people and makes these operating systems feel like real continuity to classic Amiga, and not being just yet another UAE boxes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:41:09 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.