Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrated SAM460 owner  (Read 19299 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Frustrated SAM460 owner
« on: September 29, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;774166
That's perfectly understandable, and I agree with you.

it is. less understandable is when the public is left in the dark about all development facts, except when someone finally complains, which is then an opportunity for some sudden and unexpected statement, like that the project has not actually been abandoned, and is very close to completion, which is usually followed by further years of silence and patient waiting.

if development state was honestly communicated the users could easier judge for themselves if it pays for them to invest in the system. must be the reason to keep it confidential and only now and then feed the public with small fragmentary teasers out of context.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »
Quote from: Nicsoft;774213
Can someone technically oriented (regarding drivers) explain the difference regarding Warp3D vs Gallium3D?

So that I'll know if an upgrade to a 5000 series card is needed...

not that im oriented, but afaik gallium/mesa is an (up to date) opengl implementation providing an abstraction layer where different backends can be addressed. it can render in software as well as take advantage of an at hand hardware accelerated driver available for numerous models.

warp3d as a lower level 3d gfx standard with rather a limited set of features, since it originates from the last century when about opengl 3.x was standard. it is rather a question of legacy that it is being kept. there is a very limited number of by todays standards rather outdated software available for it.

both projects are two completely different issues. given the limited resources it is disputable if it makes so much sense to develop w3d standard further, instead opengl should be used, because it is still widely used in open source software that is the main source of software for ng-amigalike systems.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;774229
However, nobody was promised 3D support for free.

Hans

were they not? i thought they were?