Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS  (Read 19367 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
I have been making music with computers since you could. I started with an amiga 500 and protracker.

Eventually, I moved to pc but hated windows. After I found aros I thought thank god, I can move my music production to a sane os.

Problem being, NO amiga os has the tools really necessary to create great music tracks today. Now yes some will argue you have milkytracker or noisetrekkr and so on, but those can not compete with any windows app that uses dx and vsti plug ins, and audio evolution is okay but not exactly pro tools or cubase. After trying for awhile I decided I was just limiting my tools. I couldn't getg my work done,at least not without major work arounds and alot of wasted effort, so much for coming full circle with my music projects...

So I say, leave windows or osx for your music and video production needs, and leave your amiga for everything else.

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Thats the same kind of problems I had with AROS, if I just want to edit with a tracker (milky, octamed or noisetrekkr) its fine, so long as I have a huge selection of samples, loops and instruments already loaded on the machine.

The problems come when you want to actually record new samples, vocals, guitars, drumloops, make new instruments or edit a sound already on the system beyond the trackers built in sample editor or instrument editor.  I dumped stuff back and forth for a long time and finally just said forget it...

I still occasionally track demos on my aros box but once its a basic track, I have to use windows or linux to do the real work of making it a finished track.

I don't recommend any amigoid system for actual recording anything or editing samples/sound design work, or mastering but perhaps thats just been my experience.

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
If someone buys me a g4 mac mini I'll give morphos a spin, otherwise I'm sticking with AROS, but like I said its a system for games and fun, not for getting any serious work done...

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
So set up a **** 1ghz or 2ghz pc with line in to record whatever you need. Transfer recordings via usb thumb drives, problem solved, but I agree with you...

Many amiga musicians want to move to morphos or aros or aos4. There should be easier solutions for something so simple as recording audio or creating samples...