Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be  (Read 2870 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Gassee: Thank God Apple Didn't Buy Be
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;667980
I can't wait for the 68k port of Haiku to be in a usable state.  It would make a great alternative OS for the NatAmi/FPGA Replay machines.
I'd love for the PPC port to be under active development again, but asking around on the forums it seems like nobody cares about it anymore... :/
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »
The more I learn about Haiku, the more I think I'm falling in love with it. Minimalist that I am, I was a bit derisively skeptical of things like metadata in the filesystem, but it looks like they actually have ideas for using it instead of just having it in there because it sounded cool, and in general concept it just seems like everything I thought Linux would be but isn't. I'm gonna give it a go alongside XP on my newest acquisition, and see if it's as nice to use as it is to read about...

Certainly sounds better than NeXTStep/OSX, at least.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;668022
Unlike caertain other alt OS'. The Haiku team does not suggest this to replace your main OS with yet. At this point, it's mainly only good for developers and the curious.
Right, but I figure I'll give it a shot at least to see what it's like, even if it's not something I'd be ready to move over to yet.
Use a virtual machine too. It's highly unlikely that you'll have the perfect hardware combo for this to work with. I had a computer that RC1 ran fine on, but RC2 and 3 won't even fully boot on.
Hmm, I tried it on a Core 2 Duo box I nabbed from the recycle center, with an i945 board...the installer seemed happy enough with it, but I haven't tried anything with video acceleration, sound, or networking yet.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »
Ah, that's as I expected. Still, not a lot I need that for, and it seems to run quite snappily without it. Still haven't tried any audio stuff, but networking is up and running without any problems.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:21:53 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »
I haven't used anything newer than 10.4, but while I don't think it's awful, I don't see what the selling point is. It's hardly anything like classic Mac OS, interface-wise, and only mostly compatible with old software (any Mac on which I cannot run Spin Doctor is a Mac not worth my time.) Technology-wise, if I want BSD with a vaguely Mac-like desktop environment, there are half a billion clones of it out there.