Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About multitasking, what's best : AmigaOS, Linux, or Winblows XP ?  (Read 7123 times)

Description:

Offline tonyvdb

The big thing that the Amiga had and in a way still has over any windowz OS is that it can multi-task very smoothly and effectively. Yes modern day windowz machines have more raw horsepower but they need it to do multi-tasking as well as they do. Another member on here memtioned this in another thread but I have also done this, on the Amiga you can format more then one drive/partition at the same time. Try doing that on a PC. :-D
The Mac OS has done well in this department and is leaps ahead of the PC in this regards.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline tonyvdb

Re: About multitasking, what's best : AmigaOS, Linux, or Winblows XP ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »

Then why can I play music, play a game and download something at the same time on my old pentium 200 with windows 95?

You may not notice but the download is not a steady stream nor will the game play full smooth frames as it will pause many times as other things are going on. Yes it is multi-tasking but its not "true" multi-tasking.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
The one thing in windows 3.1 was if you ran more than one application that required the clock timing it would crash. I used a program on 3.1 that required it and had to ve very cautious not to open other programs I could open other windows but as soon as I ran a program it would lock up the entire computer and had to reboot.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »

Piru wrote:
@tonyvdb
Yes it is multi-tasking but its not "true" multi-tasking.

Well by that definition AmigaOS isn't true multitasking either.

In a way your right but I'm sure you would agree that the Amiga will be far more efficient at it. And as I mentioned before try formating more then one drive at the same time on a PC

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
I'm not sure how much of this is done by the Newtek cards but still running a video project in the switcher involves running a ton of processes at the same time. The Amiga does just fine doing that. There is no way a windows machine with as little ram and CPU speed could even dream of doing that even today.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »

Piru wrote:
But why would you want to limit your video editing to something like the old amiga solutions? Or why would you deliberately want to run something like video editing on 10-15 year old PC?
Amiga hardware provided very efficient and cheap way of implementing video, but that's no OS feature.

There was defiantly OS involvement with video on the Amiga.

Its not a mater of limiting myself to a 15 year old machine but moreso the fact that spending another $12,000 or more on a new PC based system that will do the same thing is very pointless. All the software only video editing systems suck on the PC the new Newtek VT is one of the best products out there but why replace my Amiga when it is very capable of doing video editing all real time ( The Amigas ability to do what it does with Multi-tasking was way ahead of its time)

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:07:57 PM »

Piru wrote:
Care to detail the involvement?

Outside video sourses no, but the video toaster for example uses the Amiga's video and NTSC capabilities in some sort of way otherwise it would not be able to display switcher or Lightwave screens on the Amigas monitor. All the software is run from the Amigas internal hard drive on Workbench. I many times will go onto my workbench as the toaster is running something and run other programs.