Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About multitasking, what's best : AmigaOS, Linux, or Winblows XP ?  (Read 7089 times)

Description:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: About multitasking, what's best : AmigaOS, Linux, or Winblows XP ?
« Reply #134 from previous page: November 05, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
We already know that the XP registry can make the system unstable, if meddled with, but that doesn't magically make AmigaOS better.

Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
Re: About multitasking, what's best : AmigaOS, Linux, or Winblows XP ?
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
stopthegop:  The reason your A3000 crashes on you is because, conciously or not, you're probably trying to use the Amiga in the same way you use your wintel box.

Ah, the old Macintosh excuse.  Even after the switch to real MMU-capable CPUs, people were still placing the blame on system extentions rather than the poo that was MacOS.

whabang:  If multitasking was all about the system feeling responsive, while running several apps, then yes, AmigaOS would be among the best there is

Until you run a process that gives itself max priority and the rest of the machine locks up.  Remember trying to print something when the printer wasn't turned on, and no matter how many times you clicked "Cancel", the system would try to print infinitely, slowing down everything in the background?  Oh, God... the horrible memories.

Then again, the PowerMacs at school wouldn't even multitask at all when printing.  It was fun waiting 20 minutes for Netscape to stop loading web pages, too, no matter how many times you clicked "Stop".

stopthegop:  I think the registry is corrupted on my XP box which is why it crashed.

Ah, the old Windows excuse.  I haven't seen a registry corruption on any Windows machine since Win98.

Before I upgraded to XP (finally) I hadn't re-installed my Win2K system for more than five years.  My secret?  Good hardware with proven drivers, and no virus scanners.  Bad drivers will bring any OS to its knees, and virus scanners poke around at the system level and will destroy your OS faster than you can say, "Why do I need a 'protected' Recycle Bin?"