Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: yikes! curious message on pc  (Read 2369 times)

Description:

Offline Will-i-amTopic starter

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
Re: yikes! curious message on pc
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 13, 2006, 05:37:07 PM »

Chunder wrote:
Are you sure that it didn't just say "It is now safe to switch off your computer"?

Win98 sometimes showed this, although most of the time it would automatically power down itself. Could never figure out why it wasn't consistent...

Nah, I know the "safe..." message. This was ugly white block letters, very thick like 1/2". Don't ever recall seeing it before. And re ME vs XP on this box... this pitiful Sony machine was actually an upgrade from a Compaq. My pal Larry was fixing it for my sister when she bought a newer model and I got the hand me down. It just barely handles ME, I think it's 833mhz with no graphics board, sound card or anything else nice but the ethernet card. I tried installing a $5 game and it locked up every time I started the thing. In fact when trying to reply to your comments it locked up again and I had to ctrl-alt-del and start over. Sad, sad, sad. My daughter says she'll let me have her XP install CD that came with her PC as she has shifted over to Mac.

Here's a funny for you: I took the ancient Compaq, formatted the HD and installed Red Hat Fedora all by my lonesome. It seems to deal with it pretty good! I also have an 8088 bridgecard I'm thinking about putting in one of my A2000s so I can run DOS crap... just because I can. I really do think I must enjoy pain or at least the meds I'm on dull some of the worst of it. crap oh dear now my monitor is chattering away at me. Yikes! Time to boot the Beast and play with Brilliance.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »
I would definitely reinstall or even better upgrade to a better OS. WinME is definitely the worst windows release since win3.11 and it does have known problems with shutdown.
I believe i have seen what you saw as well, and i believe it is related to the same bug which is that the system is trying to shutdown before it has managed to close running programs/drivers and so on.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 03:43:03 AM »
If you played a sony music cd on your pc, or installed any software provided by sony (soundstage etc.) there's a good chance sony has placed a rootkit on your pc to prevent you from copying their cds. And no spyware or ad aware program is able to detect it at the moment as far as I know. Worse enough, some hackers found a way how to abuse this rootkit and you may have a dozen viruses/trojans exploiting this gap right now. Sony is in deep trouble because of this mess (well deserved). you can read more about it on these pages :

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+will+wipe+Sonys+rootkit/2100-1002_3-5949041.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/01/sony_rootkit_drm/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110202362.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/11/sonys_drm_rootk.html

I wish sony dies a painful death because of this. I'll never buy a sony again anymore (maybe I can make an exception for ps3)
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline zipper

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 11:45:55 AM »

And no spyware or ad aware program is able to detect it at the moment as far as I know.

F-Secure at least does.

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »
Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 01:42:58 PM »
You might actually be better served using 98SE.  It doesn't handle everything that XP does, but it's likely to run faster on your hardware.  If you can manage it, it's also really a good idea to streamline and customise your installation.  Plenty of info about that online.

P.S. also make sure you wipe you hard drive before new install.  Sorry if the advice is condescending, as I don't know how advanced a user you are.

Hmm, while I'm off the topic...I was called up to fix someone's computer recently (not my job, but do it sometimes), for which a 'qualified computer technician' had just installed an infernal modem.  I booted XP, and tried all the usual things, but couldn't get it to find the modem, not even with manual installation.  I opened up the computer, and was actually stunned for some time, not comprehending what I was seeing.  The modem card was screwed into the chasis, taking up one of the lowest positions in the case, but it was a micro atx mobo.  Damn, I couldn't believe it.  The card was just floating, suspended by the case, not even anywhere near a socket.  When I realised this, I had a really good laugh.  This job was done by a 'PC technician'.  I told the owner never to let that techy any where near their posessions ever again.  As it happens, it was an ISA card, for which their was no slot, and the 'technician' just told the owners it would be fine.  Gee, I never realised those 'computers for dummies' titles were so aptly titled.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
@Will-I-Am

"should not see me".  I've seen this quite a few times especially after installing new ATI drivers.  It threw me the first time I saw it too.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22should+not+see+me%22+windows&btnG=Search

Offline Will-i-amTopic starter

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »

yogisumo wrote:
@Will-I-Am

"should not see me".  I've seen this quite a few times especially after installing new ATI drivers.  It threw me the first time I saw it too.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22should+not+see+me%22+windows&btnG=Search

The more I think about it the more I think that's the message I saw. I got Spybot last night and ran it. About 74 nasty files got tossed out with Adaware and then Spybot found a bunch more. We'll see what happens.

This machine originally had ME on it and my old dead pal Larry had taken it home to fix what my sister had messed up and he did a ghost, then installed '98 in order to do more work on it, then reinstalled ME so she could have it back. By then she had bought her fancier new box and I got her cast off. Larry sent me the ghost program as well as a ghosted copy of the '98 version of the machine, so we could swap to 98 without much problem. Something he had suggested as he didn't think the hardware could handle XP. Larry didn't make mistakes, except with his own health. Hey guys, I have seen a man die from not taking care of his heart. It ain't quick, and it ain't pretty. Cool it on the red meat, no exercise and fatty foods. Just because Larry could fix any piece of electronics or any kind of sports car he thought he could fake it thru a bad lifestyle. Now I'm down one more old buddy and you guys are the only source I have for figuring out computers. 8-((

I'll work on this machine and then go play with my miggies. I need to attach a new floppy drive to the Sister of the Beast and I'm not sure I have a ribbon cable for it. Got two boxes of obscure cables, though. I mean really obscure, with lots of funny ends and multiple heads... if I take pics maybe I can upload them and get them identified. I'm starting to think that all my ribbon cables are for ide drives, but maybe if I'm lucky when I open the Sister she'll have a cable tucked away inside from when I pulled the drive. I just have this nagging memory of a ribbon cable I had to toss because it had several broken wires. geez I hope it was a HD cable. These dang pain meds have the amusing side effect of destroying my.... what? oh yeah, short term memory.