Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wii and the living room  (Read 1669 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: Wii and the living room
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 02, 2008, 09:13:22 PM »
there is actually some skill involved in playing many wii games. it isnt just timing your botton presses etc. you have to point just right and move just right. that is what makes it more interesting to me. 360 and ps3 games just seem to be more of the same stuff we have had since the genesis or so, button mashing mindlessness with better graphics.
the inovation isnt just about making games fun to play again (as opposed to quake/halo/etc. clones) it really is a new way to play games. i just got sonic and the secret rings, and although it is just another 3d sonic game it is different and fun to play because of the controls.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
I must be the only one who dislikes it. Yes it's a great party and entertainment machine but it just isn't a serious gaming machine, if I want to play games i'd just go on a 360 or PS3. I don't think it can be classed in the same group as the other 2 being as there's little games for it that get me interested.

ChuckT

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
I have a gamecube but the Wii's controllers just weren't appealing to me enough to upgrade to it.  The only way I would upgrade to a Wii is if they opened up the system to programmers or if my gamecube stopped working.  The idea of playing the original Donkey Kong is appealing to me but you have to buy all these things to make it work.

I get a lot of exercise with my three year old and I sometimes just want to sit down at home.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »
Yes it's a great party and entertainment machine but it just isn't a serious gaming machine

And that's exactly why it's such a great system for the living room / den.  "Serious gaming machines" stress the single-user play.  The Nintendo's strength is social activities.  Sure, the graphics are not powerful, but how much graphics do you need to have fun?  

Also, I've found the Opera browser on it to be quite handy for looking things up.  Bookmark IMDB, Wikipedia, MovieFone, Local Weather, etc...  Instant on/Instant off reference source.  

And as for open development...  There is a new unofficial homebrew channel you can run on the Wii.  Also, you have the Opera/Flash platform.