Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MS IE 7 With Anti Spyware  (Read 1188 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
MS IE 7 With Anti Spyware
« on: February 16, 2005, 04:24:18 AM »
MS Had Announced new MS IE 7 Browser with Anti Spyware.

Does this mean that the new browser will be FULL OF SPYWARE?

Usually if MS launch "Anti-Something", your PC will be FULL of "something" :-)

MS Anti Virus ---> Your system will be full of Virus undetected by MS Anti Virus.
MS XP SP2 Anti Bug Patch ---> Your system will be full of bugs from the new patch.

=======================================================
Reuters:

Microsoft Corp.  will release a new version of Internet Explorer, the world's most popular Internet browsing software, with new, built-in security features, Chairman Bill Gates said on Tuesday.
In a speech at a major security conference here, Gates said Internet Explorer 7.0, with new anti-spyware features, will be released for preliminary testing this summer.
The move comes three years after Microsoft, the world's biggest software company, launched a major initiative to improve the reliability and security of its software, which runs on about 90 percent of all personal computers.

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
Re: MS IE 7 With Anti Spyware
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 05:50:47 AM »
Oh, but if THIS were only true...   :-D
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:29:01 AM »
You know I use both firefox and IE and I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware and ad-aware all on my system.. I have also used Aweb and IBrowse. I could start talking about a lot of things that these two programs don't have as features..

Does anyone here get tired of the Microsoft bashing here besides me? It's old and tired and lame.. If you guys don't like it don't use it there's more than one piece of software out there for a reason and more than one system..

Blaming Microsoft for some hacker's games is kinda juvenille. Other systems including the Amiga have been targets in the past.. I got an Amiga boot block virus in 1988 for the first time.. I thought this kinda thing was lame then and it's lame and a time waster now. If you can't find a better reason to trash Microsoft than this, you guys should get a new hobby..

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 06:57:47 AM »
Hear, hear! While Microsoft's market tactics aren't exactly kosher, they do have some talented programmers working for them. Really, Internet Explorer is a great browser. In my opinion, it blew by Netscape at release 3.0 when support for OLE was added; however, that also opened the door for nastiness.

Really, a decent virus scanner and some common sense (i.e. when a dancing monkey says "click here," *don't* click there) is all it takes to keep your system clean. In my ten short years of Intel system support, the nastiest outbreak I've seen was the Monkey boot sector virus, spread primarily through floppy disks. The reason why it spread? We didn't have virus scanners installed on every system.

EDIT: For reference, I used to use McAfee VirusScan but recently switched to Trend Micro PC-cillin (installed in bare bones mode) because it's free to employees of the company I work for. Both products work great. McAfee NetShield and Trend Micro ServerProtect are great products as well. Norton Anti-virus was crap (it didn't actually stop or clean anything, it just let you know when your system was infected, after which Norton/Symantec would publish a cleaning utility), but the most recent releases from Symantec seem pretty solid.

Trev

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:27:18 PM »
Changing the subject a little, when I recently moved to the not ready for primetime Windows XP 64 bit edition on my amd 64 machine, I moved away from McAfee and Norton.. I moved to something sugggested by Microsoft personnel. A virus protection program called Avast Avast! Anti-Virus it runs on both 32 bit and 64 bit windows and is the product of a European company.  

Anyway, I stopped using a major brand like McAfee and Symantec/Norton because the virus makers always go after them first, and this one seems to be top notch..

Also it's FREE for home users (including updates). You register the product and it just works. PCLABS gave it a glowing review too. They make money off of the enterprise users but not home users. Gotta love them for that..

Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 05:40:23 PM »
staying slightly OT, the best anti virus I have used, and have been using for a few years is AVG from www.grisoft.com, it too is free, and it has stopped everyvirus before it has done any damage
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »
@DonnyEMU

In true Amigian style, it easier to bash to competition then to crush them...

~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 09:53:21 PM »
@JJ

Grisoft's AntiVirus (AVG) is excellent. The free download offers all the functionality of the registered version for 30 days, then reverts to a basic model.

It's worth £25 to register. That gets you updates to the virus database almost daily. Worth every penny.

EDIT: I think Spyware is a different issue tho. You really do need both.

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 06:00:11 PM »
From legion's link:
'Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried to check the weather this morning and all my little blue 'e' icons were missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.'

:roflmao: Ofcourse he MUST get a new computer :lol:.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »
http://www.avast.com < is my choice of M$ virus killing software.
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 07:25:57 PM »
Hum,
yeah i agree both excellent avast and AVG (and both run together as well).

As  frontline protection i have recently been using the trojan/virus/worm firewall Prevxfirewall (6.7mb download)