Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Read Atari ST formatted floppy on Amiga?  (Read 2066 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedjeTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Read Atari ST formatted floppy on Amiga?
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:38:35 PM »
First, I'll admit I didn't look too deeply into this (just browsed through Aminet) but is there a way for the Amiga to read Atari ST floppy disks?  I figure if they're a weird format, there really isn't much point, but an Atari ST formatted disk with just text files on it?  

I seem to recall that most of the Atari ST disks were formatted the same way DOS ones were, but I know sometimes you could tweak track / sector amounts to make them hold more.

Unfortunately I don't have a working monitor for my STs, so the only system I currently have set up and working with a Floppy drive is my Amiga 4000d.

Any help greatly appreciated.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline motrucker

Re: Read Atari ST formatted floppy on Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
If I remember, Cross DOS will, and maybe DOS 2 DOS. These are both commercial programs though.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »
ST uses PC format disks either 720kb or 360kb

Amigas with Workbench 2.1 or newer natively support the reading of this format of disk too.

It works a treat, I copied a software blitter from a real ST floppy disk with my Amiga onto the hard drive to use with an ST emulator (massive improvement to GEM performance in both real hardware and emulators running on any machine like STEEM on Windows etc)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
Good answer.
Yes the Atari ST does not have all the glamorous little extra circuits you're all fond of, but unlike the Amiga or the Apple II (and like almost everything else) it does have disk that other computer can read.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
I knew all this :D  I could have sworn there was a more 'native' format though.  And of course Cross Dos (or something similar) was included with Workbench 2.1 (or maybe it was 3.x).  And I have no problems reading Dos disks.  

Of course the most likely problem is that the disks are bad anyhow.  I definitely wouldn't rule that out.  Especially considering the age of the disks, and my weird curse I've had with floppies.

Hmm, let's say they're in a weird format that can only be read if you boot straight off of them, is there any 'disk imaging' software for the amiga so I could create a .msa file, and then run it with an Atari ST emulator (on the Amiga or my Linux setup) or an ST emulator with direct floppy drive access?

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;752117
First, I'll admit I didn't look too deeply into this (just browsed through Aminet) but is there a way for the Amiga to read Atari ST floppy disks?  I figure if they're a weird format, there really isn't much point, but an Atari ST formatted disk with just text files on it?  

I seem to recall that most of the Atari ST disks were formatted the same way DOS ones were, but I know sometimes you could tweak track / sector amounts to make them hold more.

Unfortunately I don't have a working monitor for my STs, so the only system I currently have set up and working with a Floppy drive is my Amiga 4000d.

Any help greatly appreciated.

slaapliedje

Have you tried OmniFlop for Windows? I use it to read Acorn disks. According to the features list it handles various Atari formats:

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm#Features

Cheers.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
Hmmm, gonna have to get me a USB Floppy drive for that.  Sadly newer motherboards no longer even have floppy controllers included.  This includes mine.

slaapliedje