Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?  (Read 17542 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
Most people that prefer OS4 prefer it because of said UI, imo.

For those that don't, DirOpus is always an easy option.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Not sure why anyone would be bucking for Hyperion itself to effectively throw away what is pretty much their meal ticket in favor of a UI replacement that no one is really asking for.  Why would they?  Progress?  Why change what works, especially when users can customize the UI themselves anyways *if* they choose to.  I'm a big fan of the bare bones, no bells and whistles Hyperion bone stock WB.

That, in some sense - is like wondering why Ford doesn't simply throw away the design paperwork for the Mustang because some guy is shouting that the Pinto is a more apt choice for what is their most recognizable/flagship auto, lol.

If another UI experience is something you'd like, assuming you're even an OS4 user - there's options like DirOpus, many choices for themes, and if you're so inclined, program your own solution for it.  Voila.

As for Ambient and MOS, it's an acquired taste.  I am a registered MOS user, and I like the OS very much, but I'd be lying if I tried to tell you that I care for the design of it in the least, so I mostly use OS4.  That's a matter of personal preference only - many people are the exact opposite.

Were the default OS4 experience to suddenly be retooled to look like an Ambient knockoff, I'd quit using OS4.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:45:04 AM »
I'd rather have a more sparse, bare bones OS like OS4 and have the option of adding programs to do things rather than have it built into the OS.

Virtually everything you suggested there Kamelito, I'd never use, it'd be more bloat added to OS4.  There's add on programs that do most of that stuff if you wanted it, and all without bloating out a trim, lean little OS.  Never understood why people want things more complex than they need to be, especially when add on apps are widely available for those that really love to tweak.  I like the fact my SAM boots up from cold to usable status in about 4 seconds - piling more crap onto the OS would hurt that somewhat.  There's very little in the way of eye candy or added functionality that a person couldn't add themselves via a simple OS4 Depot or Aminet download, so why clutter up the core OS?

Designers taking liberties to make an OS "Modern" and doing the old "people don't know what they want, so we'll just do this and SHOW THEM what a MODERN OS IS!" has been done.  Repeatedly, and it's always failed.  See Windows Vista and Windows 8, lol.  When you try and do everything, you end up doing nothing well.

Then again, I'm a pretty basic OS4 user.  Outside of a DirOpus and CED icon on the WB screen, my desktop is bare.  I even get rid of the default installed dock and just live in a CLI window.  People like OS4 because of the lean simplicity, imo.

You effectively just described Windows with your "modern features list".

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
Very interesting read, and yeah - I always wondered what sort of mess there was internally in OS4 despite the speedy and fairly lean user and performance side us general grunts see with daily use.  Sometimes you can put lipstick on a pig, as they say.

A friend I used to work with used to call such things as "A ball of spagetti, held together with about 3000 of those little tiny band aids".