Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Next-Gen Amiga hardware  (Read 6275 times)

Description:

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
Re: The Next-Gen Amiga hardware
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2003, 08:04:59 AM »
@olegil:

Ignore the guy, he's just a troll.  First he says he's just back from saying the AOne is overpriced (that battle was fought LONG ago in the flamefields of the land of ann), then there's this priceless quote:

I start these things just to get something (someone) to laugh at.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2003, 09:35:02 AM »
The thing you are missing in your argument is that yeah - the PC world is way ahead of us in Raw computing power. A 2ghz P4 w/latest Ram and Grafx card technology makes a PPC G3@600mhz w/Voodoo AGP look weak on PAPER.. But, you have to Run Windows on it! Or if you are lucky (or smart) Linux.. runnning MorphOs on a G3 is Blazing fast and I'm sure os4 for A1 will be very quick and make the p4 2ghz seems slow in comparison.. Raw hardware is only part of the formula. You need a fast lean OS to take advantage of it.
magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2003, 09:47:13 AM »
> I start these things just to get something (someone) to laugh at.

Soooooo you admit to starting this on purpose just for the fun of creating a flame war!

:pint: TROLLS :pint:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2003, 10:23:11 AM »

amiga_boy wrote:

What we need is a real alternative to the nForce2 mobos

I recall there was an interview with some nVidia 'senior' employee that they are open for nForce based chipset for the PPC market (i.e. principally for the Apple market) IF the newer PPC CPUs are designed close enough to X86’s signalling characteristics then they will have a solution for this market segment.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Zorro

• Show only replies by Zorro
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2003, 11:44:05 AM »
by amiga_boy:
... If you have real suggestions for this, post a response...

I have some insider info !!!

The next generation Amiga will be named Amiga 9000 NG and will powered by :

1) Motorola PPC G9 at 5ghz
2) Chipset AAA++ NG that will destroy ATI, Nvidia & company graphic and audio chips
3) Super efficient technology to "Boing the World !" TM

It will be manifactured from the new brand "Next Commodore Technologies Inc." of course...

:-D :-D :-D
 :-D ;-)  :-D
:-D :-D :-D
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
   Zorro:roflmao:Zorro
The Phoenix is rising...

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »
In a previous post in the gaming forum I made a comment about the the Amiga hardware being underspecced and overpriced. Oddly for this site, there was no argument against this comment. Do the rest of you feel this way?

Absolutely!

The reasons for this are twofold:

1) The AmigaOne has been in development for a long period, thus the orginal specs are obsolete.

2) The factor of including APG 8x etc would push up both the retail and development costs.

Furthermore, when measured against our existing hardware, even the AmigaOne/Pegasos etc present a huge leap forward in terms for performance.  However, it does leave me feeling a little short changed when I see the stuff shipping on a £100 PC motherboard these days.....  Even without the performance draining OS, the AmigaOne/Pegasos will struggle to be competitive in raw performance terms.  I suppose this makes the Pegasos 2 a compelling arguement.  
Cecilia for President

Offline Psy

• Show only replies by Psy
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2003, 02:30:27 PM »
Of course the OS and H/W platform sponsored by the copyright holders is a genuine Amiga. What else could be? Stick an Amiga badge on a PS2 and it's still a PS2, never an Amiga unless it gets integrated into the roadmap for the platforms future, which is decided by the parent company, not the users and certainly not the competitors

So I'm not using an IBM since it is differnt then IBM's PS/2 road map IBM had way back when?

I don't care if Amiga Inc has the offical name or not that is just a name.  Besides if Genesi wanted to they could contest the copyright on the name Amiga for the reason it is a spanish word and you can't copyright single words.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2003, 02:31:36 PM »
Quote...

I have some insider info !!!

The next generation Amiga will be named Amiga 9000 NG and will powered by :

1) Motorola PPC G9 at 5ghz
2) Chipset AAA++ NG that will destroy ATI, Nvidia & company graphic and audio chips
3) Super efficient technology to "Boing the World !" TM

It will be manifactured from the new brand "Next Commodore Technologies Inc." of course...

You Sure? GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!

will proberbly cost like $6000 or some rediculous amount of money, so will flop.

i wont hold my breath.
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2003, 02:42:08 PM »
@ _LinchpiN_

NO! I want to play £20 for it, that's all I will pay, and I want it NOW!  Oh yeah, and every game on the planet has to be ported to it the moment I buy the hardware.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2003, 02:59:51 PM »
think that a mobo with AGPx2, no FireWire, USB 1.1 etc. simply has to at least try and compete with the latest PC mobo's offering AGPx8, 2 x LAN, RAID, USB 2.0 and the rest. Especially within the A1 price range.

As of yet none of my pc motherboards has firewire its more common on macs, and usb2 is the more popular choice.and AGPx8,  does not make much diffrence with the latest graphics cards. :-?
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline amiga_boyTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiga_boy
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2003, 03:20:29 PM »

Darth_X wrote:
Soooooo you admit to starting this on purpose just for the fun of creating a flame war!

No that was sarcasm, but it certainly rattled your cage.
\\"Eagles may soar, but weasels don\\\'t get sucked into jet engines.\\"

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2003, 03:31:07 PM »

amiga_boy wrote:

Darth_X wrote:

No that was sarcasm, but it certainly rattled your cage.

One way or another.. this discussion is pointless anyhow. Having bunch of companies that can't even deliver  years old stuff it's not much poin on dreaming about any upcoming products.  

Offline Zorro

• Show only replies by Zorro
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2003, 04:55:19 PM »
by mikeymike on 2003/6/12 15:42:08

NO! I want to play £20 for it, that's all I will pay, and I want it NOW! Oh yeah, and every game on the planet has to be ported to it the moment I buy the hardware.

Ok !  I have mailed the new Commodore and they say that your requests will be satisfied...   :-P  :-P  :-D
   Zorro:roflmao:Zorro
The Phoenix is rising...

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2003, 05:18:09 PM »
Ahh, I kinda missed the good troll thread with 2-3 days of peace and quietness.

Let it rip, girls! You got alot of catching up to do  :-D  :-D
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2003, 06:15:56 PM »
Hey, I run Amiga OS 3.9 on my nforce2 motherboard no problem...with Amithlon of course.  

And its lightning fast, taking advantage of my dual channel DDR memory @ 400MHz DDR and GeForce 3 graphics card.  

Ok, I can't use the onboard soundstorm audio or the onboard 100Mbit nic, but i just use PCI cards which Amithlon supports for that.

Amiga is never going to be able to fully leverage all the current technologies the PC is using today - and the reason is ... PowerPC.  Unless you are an Apple and have millions to spend designing your own motherboards, you aren't going to get that.  There really isn't a market for a desktop PowerPC platform outside of the AmigaOne and Pegasos.  And those companies developing those boards don't have the cash required...

The closest you will come will be the Pegasos II which will support DDR333 and gigabit ethernet.  But then again, you won't be running Amiga OS 4 on it.

HammerD
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 12, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »
@ HammerD

Amiga is never going to be able to fully leverage all the current technologies the PC is using today - and the reason is ... PowerPC

Never say never... imho.  :-)