Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeus 68040 board suddenly FUBAR in my A2000  (Read 301 times)

Description:

Offline Huxley_DTopic starter

• Show only replies by Huxley_D
    • Check out The Retro Roadshow, my pop-up museum of vintage technology!
Zeus 68040 board suddenly FUBAR in my A2000
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:51:05 AM »
(Starting a new thread here since my previous threads are probably/hopefully unrelated to this issue)

So I've spent this weekend extracting my old Amiga 2000 gear from a storage locker after ~8 years away from the hobby. I've got an A2000 with Rev. 6.2 motherboard, Indivision ECS FlickerFixer, dual floppy drives, a bunch of random expansion boards, a Progressive Peripherals Zeus 68040 CPU/SCSI board @ 33MHz with 16 populated RAM slots and an on-card 40MB SCSI drive, etc. Lots of nice gear to tinker with!

Since it's been nearly a decade since I sat in front of this rig, I've been working my way up from bare-bones: I stayed up till ~3am today getting the old leaky mobo battery extracted and cleaned up, getting two floppy drives installed and configured properly, getting the 40MB SCSI drive mounted to the Zeus board formatted and loaded with a fresh copy of Workbench 3.1, etc.

Earlier today I was making slow-and-steady progress toward getting an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive chained to the Zeus board, but I was going in circles and opted to take a nap (staying up till 3AM is harder than it used to be).

Nap complete, I just came back to the A2000, only to find it dead. Specifically, the machine powers up when I flip the switch but I get no disk activity, no flopping-seeking, etc., as long as the Zeus board is inserted. The machine behaves normally if I remove the Zeus board.

FML.

I've spent the past ~hour reseating the Zeus board, removing it's metal bracket (the one that faces out the rear of the chassis) in the hope it was catching the case and causing the Zeus to not "sit down" fully into the slot, etc.etc., and I'm stuck. The '040 CPU gets very warm when the machine is powered up, and it seems like the three-finger ctrl-Amiga-Amiga keyboard reset is doing something (based on flickers on the display and the sound of the Zeus-mounted SCSI drive going through it's power-on chatter), but otherwise it's KO'd right now. AARHGHGHGHGHGHG.

I found this thread where the submitter describes something pretty similar, but without any resolution shared: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35192

Any tips or suggestions on what to do next? The Zeus board is apparently rare/uncommon enough that there just isn't a ton of info about it, and I'm really scared that I somehow killed the most valuable part of my whole setup.

Offline amiadudeorwat

Re: Zeus 68040 board suddenly FUBAR in my A2000
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:25:16 AM »
I don't have any Zeus specific advice since I haven't owned one, but first thing is don't give up hope.  

Order I'd troubleshoot is:
1)  Unplug any SCSI devices see if you can get to early startup menu and if see if the Zeus shows up under autoconfig, the memory should maybe even the SCSI

2)  Depending on how much RAM you have on it, go down to one set of 4 SIMMs.  Test with a different set if you have 8 or more.  I think it requires at least 4 working SIMMs to function.

3)  Is the 040 socketed?  If so swapping it should be an option.

4)  Maybe this is obvious but maybe not, if your A2000 is on the original power supply maybe it's not up to snuff to power the Zeus.  I have this with my A2000 that it requires some warm up time before it wants to boot some days.  Best thing is to check with a Multimeter

5)  Find an A2000 to test it with, I thought there was a largish Amiga club out that way the name of which is escaping me at the moment, there must be someone around with a working A2000.

6)  If something on the board has truly fried, you're not totally out of luck at least the memory and SCSI controllers are off the shelf parts, so they could be replaced.  Probably not so for the 17 PLDs on that board, any of which might have fried.  Maybe the Zeus ROMs are available somewhere.

7)  This should have been #1 but clean the edge connector with Isopropyl Alcohol, if you haven't done this lately or in a decade or so you will be surprised how much grime comes off on a piece of alcohol soaked paper towel.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:04 AM »
Hi,

Ok, first don't panic. Then remove all expansion and reseat all chips on the MB. Power bare and see if you get the "insert floppy" Graphic. If so proceed to add 1 expansion at a time and find the hiccup.

Offline jltursan

• Show only replies by jltursan
    • https://sites.google.com/site/msxpage/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »
getting the old leaky mobo battery extracted and cleaned up,

amiadudeorwat already mention the cleaning detail; but double-check that. The CPU slot is the nearest to leaky batteries and it usually gets some severe corrosion. Check carefully the shape and color of the slot pins.