Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?  (Read 12345 times)

Description:

Offline bernd_afa

• Show all replies
Re: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
Maybe you make a poll, and ask the Question.

Do you think the OS4 devs are able to make a attractive AOS for not Amiga Fan Users ?

Yes or no.

I say no because when see for example this, there is no update and bugfix since long long time.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30162&forum=14&23#523401

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29569&forum=14&106

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29561&forum=33&34

I see no excuse not enough money or so, because i am sure, every developers get with the same money, support of users/devs that support this much much better results.

and for this we need 2 PPC AOS solutions and red versus blue war, i dont understand.ok, if devs like OS4 good, but there should be working together possible because nobody can assume that many live with such OS4 limitation and update/bugfix slowness.

also can compare what that MOS/AROS devs do, they have not such problems.Or does this too happen on MOS and MAC Mini ?

we see that Hyperion develop very very slow SAM over 1 year now beta, was not able to build a good slab allocator, that reach speed of other slab allocator, and are not able that OS4 show correct used and free memory.
Thats a thing all OS can do, and there is no excuse that OS4 is something special.

I cant understand wy develop a driver need so much time, there need only look how the driver in Linux work.

Problem of course is that OS4 is closed source, so just modify the Linux driver and use is illegal.

But when there are devs that do a closed source AOS they should be able to do a working driver too soon, i dont want pay much money when they are slow and need much time to develop and make stable this.

Special on Amiga is only that there are some Fans that like OS4 so much and pay money because they think its last hope.

I think on otrher market if Hyperion develop a Slabv allocator with that features and speed it have on OS4, the Hyperion guys get fired.

If AOS is opensource, then a Linux opensource Slab allocator can use that is fast and show correct used memory.

So if the money does not flow to developers that reach better results with the given money, i think its impossible that amiga market can grow and go attractive for more users and especial devs that write more apps and need less bounty.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:31:05 AM by bernd_afa »

Offline bernd_afa

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
>But if you like the classic AmigaOS like i do. then OS4 is great and the only true >successor to the classic amigaos.

And wy is only OS4 the true sucessor and not MOS or maybe AROS if you want native Hardware ?

Offline bernd_afa

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
Quote from: Fab;532391

No, but let's note that the supplied cairo library in OS4 is totally unaccelerated and even slower than the plain image surface, which is why joerg used a straight cairo recompilation for OWB instead.
I also use my own cairo "port" for OWB MorphOS port and related projects.

Here can also read about problems of OS4 Cairo from a OS4 dev.

http://vlists.pepperfish.net/pipermail/netsurf-dev-netsurf-browser.org/2009-August/001454.html

""""
The Cairo clipping is so ridiculously slow on OS4 that I'm not able to
fully Cairo-ise it unfortunately,......
""""

And this is the biggest Problem i think is in OS4.

There is a big and lot announcment of OS4 Feature but when you look deeper in it, you notice that it work worser than on other Systems.

sure showing lots feature on paper is maybe good for sell.
But what every future AOS need are more developers.And if maybe a developer buy such a system and he see, its only on paper good, maybe he sell soon his OS4 system because he think the OS4 devs are not qualified ebough to do a attractive System for more Users/dev than Fans that see OS4 as last Hope.

every developer knows its easy to make a software in parts running so its good enough to announce the feature and it is in some way usable.

But if a software should have a future, the software must be rock solid or near rock solid.
Cairo is btw since long time in AROS in and its not so complicate to compile.
But when a program run without Cairo its always faster not use Cairo.

maybe there do somebody a Cairo bench that show speed between MOS and OS4 Cairo and clipping.

Cairo on MOS is opensource, but OS4 devs fiddle it in OS4 so its hard to add a new cairo on OS4.

Waht Cairo Version OS4 have ?

look what Cairo Version OS4 have and look what currently opensource Cairo is here.
and what bugs are since then fixed in opensource Cairo.
same is with other libs, as newlib.OS4 with the closed source strategie have old newlib.

http://utilitybase.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=1744&page=0

""""""
Posted: 2009-Jul-8 16:29:27

Despite any open status it has (that you guys have been discussing) it has no debug symbols in it. All I found in the binary are errors. And on my system it dates back to 2005!

Is that right? The newest-library in OS4 is four yars old? :-?
""""""

And when build a opensource Version, then there can also debug symbols build in to make it more easy to find Bugs

the next thing is the OS4 compositing Engine.Here in Forums can read that it es near unusable slow when a System have only 32 megabyte GFX Card(as micro aone many user have)
with 64 mb it work better, but still can run in some slowdown Problems.so there need at least 128 megabyte to get no large slowdown on compositing in OS4 it seem

I dont know how MOS transparency and shadow work, but i have not read in Forums that it better switch off, on 32/64 meg GFX Cards.

So for my eyes MOS transparency seem better implement.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:29:04 AM by bernd_afa »