Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED  (Read 31344 times)

Description:

Offline Hans_

Re: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED
« Reply #74 from previous page: February 19, 2015, 03:48:59 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;784848
You yourself bought into a theory.  Are you saying your own theory is BS?   I merely placed both viewpoints in a single post. :P

"I don't see why the adverse reaction to A-EON specifically saying that they have the right to distribute Octamed on MorphOS & AROS too (and emulated Amigas). They're at least considering the possibility."

You placed two possible viewpoints in a single post. Those are not the only possible viewpoints, but they do both assume that you know A-EON's "secret intentions."

Interestingly, I was considering adding "it appears that..." to the bit that you quoted, so congrats on nitpicking that one. However, I must point out that the very fact that they mention multiple platforms does require them to consider those as options. This "theory" doesn't require any assumed/imagined secret agenda or "evil intent."

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:16:22 AM by Terminills »
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
+1 to that.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;784849
You placed two possible viewpoints in a single post. Those are not the only possible viewpoints, but they do both assume that you know A-EON's "secret intentions."

Interestingly, I was considering adding "it appears that..." to the bit that you quoted, so congrats on nitpicking that one. However, I must point out that the very fact that they mention multiple platforms does require them to consider those as options. This "theory" doesn't require any assumed/imagined secret agenda or "evil intent."

Hans

I do not talk about "conspiracy" or similar. Trevor is primarly AmigaOS supporter so having the best solution for his favorite platform (and having another reason why people buy the hardware) is certainly main interest. 68k is supported because sales to AmigaOS users alone would not be enough for refinancing the development. We had the discussion regarding supporting AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS already regarding QT5 port and there it was clear that AROS/MorphOS on one side and AmigaOS on the other are very different (and if I understand many comments that is even increasing) so it is difficult to support all. Another problem is who has the experience to do it for all camps? Most devs use and support only one platform. Another reason if you use specialities of one platform (and every platform has those) make it certainly not easier portable and I assume that the primary goal is to make full use of AmigaOS.

Even with 68k there are problems. Personal Paint 7.2 worked on Aros 68k, Personal Paint 7.3 not. It is not intentionally but I think the more it is targetting "AmigaOS" the less likely it works on other platforms.

Offline Fizza

• Show only replies by Fizza
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Speaking as a long time (although now pretty much ex-) OctaMED user this is good news. OctaMED was/is a great tool that has languished too long and has much Amiga history attached to it. The problem is that due to this languishing other programs have leapfrogged OctaMED in approach and features, however, I am very keen to see what is done with it and this looks to be a very positive step in the right direction.

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
@Olafs3

A-EON's core business is AmigaOS - this *very much* includes AmigaOS 3.x support and not just AmigaOS 4.x.  You will notice A-EON's committment to the Prisma project and several other software projects we are working on at the moment for Classic AmigaOS 3.x.  We are open to working with MorphOS et al and actively encourage development of our products on this platform.

PPaint 7.3 - we listened to your concerns regarding compatibility and released 7.3a- does this fix the problems for you?  PPaint development is ongoing and we hope to address the feedback we get from our customers and further refine/polish the software quality for both 68k and PPC.

As you can see, 68K market is a firm commitment, I have seen several posts elsewhere where others have not recognised the effort and work that A-EON is putting into 68k also.

We have a few announcements to make regarding where we are reusing technology software technologies from our NG work and back porting it to 68K for the purpose of advancing the 68K platform.  I hope to have some news about this soon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:24:54 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;784883
@Olafs3

A-EON's core business is AmigaOS - this *very much* includes AmigaOS 3.x support and not just AmigaOS 4.x.  You will notice A-EON's committment to the Prisma project and several other software projects we are working on at the moment for Classic AmigaOS 3.x.  We are open to working with MorphOS et al and actively encourage development of our products on this platform.

PPaint 7.3 - we listened to your concerns regarding compatibility and released 7.3a- does this fix the problems for you?  PPaint development is ongoing and we hope to address the feedback we get from our customers and further refine/polish the software quality for both 68k and PPC.

As you can see, 68K market is a firm commitment, I have seen several posts elsewhere where others have not recognised the effort and work that A-EON is putting into 68k also.

We have a few announcements to make regarding where we are reusing technology software technologies from our NG work and back porting it to 68K for the purpose of advancing the 68K platform.  I hope to have some news about this soon.

I have talked about Aros 68k and general Aros/MorphOS compared to AmigaOS

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;784884
I have talked about Aros 68k and general Aros/MorphOS compared to AmigaOS
i thought AROS 68K was OS3 binary-compatible, yes? isn't that the big selling-point there? so since A-EON are committed to OS3/68K, you should be fine. :)

@thread

regardless of whether or not the updated octamed is native to AROS/MOS, the fact that A-EON is committed to the classic 68K amigas should mean -- since those platforms have 68K compatibility at one level or another -- that users of AROS/MOS will be able to enjoy the updated software either way. can't people be happy that development is picking up again at all?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
i thought AROS 68K was OS3 binary-compatible, yes? isn't that the big selling-point there? so since A-EON are committed to OS3/68K, you should be fine.
the problem is, that similarly as previously on os4 it looks like aeon is apparently investing in gimmicks of very limited use. os4 platform got xena, which has not even been mentioned by anyone since i guess a year already. amiga is getting now prisma megarmix which is apparently a cheap codec decoder chip meant for usb thumbs attached to zorro interface and not as advertised a sound card. similarly legacy software like ppaint receives cosmetic changes that are either meant for os4 compatibility or half a way introducing functionality the software wasnt ever meant for, like trying to convert planar into a 24bit image manipulation package by brute force. im not sure this is of much advantage. it looks like trying to achieve immediate sales arguments instead of far sighted strategy that a conscious consumer might be satisfied upon.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;784886
it looks like trying to achieve immediate sales arguments instead of far sighted strategy that a conscious consumer might be satisfied upon.
i respectfully disagree. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
i respectfully disagree.

fine, as long as you do not support it with any argument.

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
@wawrzon

We engaged with our customer base asking them for feedback on what they wanted. We are working on achievables from our business plan based on what our customers told us.  

Some smaller things will naturally be stepping stones to larger objectives as in any business.

Please remember that A-EON investing and developing software does not preclude any other developer from making their own applications according to their creative vision.  The Amiga world has had a history of innovative and creative developers - so if you have an exciting idea and do not like A-EON's projects, then get busy with your compiler :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;784885
i thought AROS 68K was OS3 binary-compatible, yes? isn't that the big selling-point there? so since A-EON are committed to OS3/68K, you should be fine. :)

@thread

regardless of whether or not the updated octamed is native to AROS/MOS, the fact that A-EON is committed to the classic 68K amigas should mean -- since those platforms have 68K compatibility at one level or another -- that users of AROS/MOS will be able to enjoy the updated software either way. can't people be happy that development is picking up again at all?

-- eliyahu

I can only state what I see... 7.2 worked, 7.3 not

in general it is already very compatible

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
We engaged with our customer base asking them for feedback on what they wanted. We are working on achievables from our business plan based on what our customers told us.
i wonder where i was when that happened.

Some smaller things will naturally be stepping stones to larger objectives as in any business.
what are these larger objectives?

Please remember that A-EON investing and developing software does not preclude any other developer from making their own applications according to their creative vision. The Amiga world has had a history of innovative and creative developers - so if you have an exciting idea and do not like A-EON's projects, then get busy with your compiler
im not very skilled in that, even though i am giving my compilers and otherwise as much time as i can invest. on the subject of being innovative, im not sure if i consider having x-core chip onboard or codec decoder on zorro card very innovative. if it was, it would have got more attention.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
wawrzon, you talk like AeonKit owes you something, like we are entitled to any software they develop/upgrade/aquire and on every "amiga" platform....?

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
@wawrzon

A-EON gets a lot of feedback from parties that are never likely to buy any products from A-EON. However, it is more sensible to listen to the genuinely prospective customers and existing customers. If you were missed out, then it's never too late to send an email to A-EON with your ideas.

If you consider some of the software tech that A-EON has recently commissioned, such as the RadeonHD v2 drivers,  that was ground breaking for the Amiga and propels the Amiga to the forefront on compatibility with the latest RadeonHD R5 R7 and R9 graphics cards. I consider that very innovative for this computing platform :)