Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.2 problems  (Read 11638 times)

Description:

Offline Boing-ball

Re: AmigaOS 3.2 problems
« on: December 07, 2023, 09:51:47 PM »
I followed this thread earlier as I too struggled to get my PCMCIA card to recognize CF cards.  I tried reinstalls of the software needed....CF0: appeared mounted but no disk. 

After months of trial I decided to go another route....i ordered the Compact Flash kit (card and adapter) from Amiga kit.  After a reinstall of their software disk (an older version didn't help) my A1200 is now happily reading a 4 GB disk.  Must be the phase of the moon!

The A1200 and more importantly the A600 are very picky with PCMCIA card reader/writers. For the A1200 side I tend to go with the SD card to PCMCIA card reader writer. For which I’ve had 99.9% success with.

A lot of this is with the Gayle Chip and possibly the revision.

I always go with CFD133 and FAT95 off Aminet. If needs be I try and use Cardpatch and Card Reset.

Glad you now have working PCMCIA though 👍🏻

Offline Boing-ball

Re: AmigaOS 3.2 problems
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 06:38:00 PM »
This is the most removed I've ever felt from the Amiga community. I now realize that I have neither the knowledge, nor the equipment (and in some cases, the software) to do pretty much any of the steps you've mentioned in your reply. I never realized getting the PCMCIA slot to work on the 1200 was such an absolute crap shoot, and that it was blind, stupid luck that I got a machine where it just miraculously worked.

As for Workbench 3.2, it's staying off my 1200. I give up. I've had enough. Another $50 that I shouldn't have spent gone right down the crapper. And now that my faulty hard drive is more sensitive than a sunburned back, the last piece of the karma pie is that I'll reformat it, reinstall WB3.1, and have the card slot not work again for literally no reason. But, I'm being defeatist. Tomorrow is another day, and all that.

“Welcome to Amiga ownership!”

I see where you are coming from in your frustration above. Unfortunately this is how it is with Amiga systems. They are not plug and play PCs. You do have to think about what you are doing with the latest stuff being introduced.

I went from Amiga OS 3.1 to 3.9. That was a great OS but very RAM and system heavy. Then when 3.1.4 came out, tried that, but was very disappointed as it resembled 3.1 but with a few extras and patches.

When 3.2 was released. Then I held back. Number one rule before buying any new Amiga stuff. Research and keep an eye out on the user forums. I didn’t adopt 3.2 until 3.2.2.1 was released. Even now it’s still has it’s problems.

I know this is frowned upon. But I combine my OS3.9 OS builds with the Os 3.2.2.1 updates. But I do use Accelerator cards such as 68030, 68040, 68060, Vampire V2 and PiStorm 32 lite. Theses have the 32bit RAM addressing that gets around PCMCIA issues you describe.

As a rule of thumb. Always backup anything before you attempt any updates or Software installs just in case. The Amiga can be an expensive hobby I’m afraid.

At the Moment V 3.2+ also has issues with older software as well. Such as IDEFIX, where it isn’t compatible anymore.

Good luck.