Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mulling over getting my A1200 serviced and maybe upgraded  (Read 1096 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show all replies
Mulling over getting my A1200 serviced and maybe upgraded
« on: February 15, 2023, 04:35:45 PM »
Spec:

Commodore Amiga 1200
Accelerator card:  68040 40MHz + FPU + 32MB SIMM
IDE HDD 850MB (IIRC)
Amiga 500 standard PSU (I also have an A500)
AmigaOS and KS 3.1
PCMCIA NIC, Miami stack software

I haven't used it in some time now (ten years?) and it had some stability issues last time I used it, like freezing/rebooting during games like Worms.

I'm considering getting it re-capped (retropassion.co.uk) because that's one possible cause of stability issues, one other possibility is power and I was considering getting one of their 85W PSUs.  It would be nice if I could get to the bottom of the stability issues myself, I have a bunch of PC ATX PSUs around here but I am not skilled with soldering, I'm wondering whether I could rig something up here to test for whether the PSU is the reason for the problem.

TBH I don't have a great deal of use for it any more.  I'm conflicted about selling it on multiple fronts, one being that I would prefer to know that it is stable before trying to sell it as such, secondly the Amiga was what got me into computers in the first place and so I have a soft spot for it.  If I'm sending it in for service I'm wondering whether to improve it in other respects too.  For example, that HDD is ancient and supplies of IDE 2.5" HDDs are getting increasingly scarce; I've heard about an adapter to make the A1200 handle CompactFlash cards instead of IDE.  Are there any better options?

I remember that OS 3.1 has a filesystem capacity limit.  Should I consider 3.2 or later instead?