Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: partitions disappeared OS3.9 HELP!  (Read 1230 times)

Description:

Offline kjmannTopic starter

• Amiga Enthusiest
    • Show only replies by kjmann
partitions disappeared OS3.9 HELP!
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
I was wanting to make some new partitions on my hard drive (DH8 and DH9). I went into HDtoolbox and added the new partitions. after the reboot, they did not show up so I could format them and the os does not show them in the format tool.

I then backed up all the files on my DH7 partition and when back into HDToolBox and resized the DH7 Partition. after the reboot the DH7 Partition disappeared.

What am I doing Wrong. Help. anyone?  =)

System info:
A2000
A2630 030 CPU
GVP Impact II SCSI+8
Tandem IDE (used for CDROM Only)
Systems:
A500 (Originally purchased new 1989) - 3.1 ROM, 2meg Chip, 68k cpu
A500+ 3.1 ROM, 2meg Chip, 8meg Fast, 68EC020 @ 28mhz, CF Slot, SD Slot. (Classic 520 accelerator board)

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
Re: partitions disappeared OS3.9 HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »
HDD brand and model? size? interface? (SCSI-HVD, -8/-16, LVD, Wide, Diff etc) More than one HDD in the system and their specification etc?

• Amiga Enthusiest
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:50 AM »
Quote from: freqmax;767925
HDD brand and model? size? interface? (SCSI-HVD, -8/-16, LVD, Wide, Diff etc) More than one HDD in the system and their specification etc?

One Hard drive: Toshiba MK2028GAC 20gb

Hard Drive is Standard IDE 44pin 2.5in.
using a IDE to 50pin SCSI Adapter (IO Data IDSC21-E)

Systems:
A500+ 3.1 ROM, 2meg Chip, 8meg Fast, 68EC020 @ 28mhz, CF Slot, SD Slot. (Classic 520 accelerator board)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
While gparted and many modern PC/Mac/Linux tools can now resize partitions non-destructively, traditionally, and on the Amiga, resizing a partition is a destructive act. HDToolbox should have given you a warning when you resized it.

So, what options do you have? First, do not format, write, or do anything with the space formerly occupied by DH7. Your data is still there, but the system does not have a recognized partition surrounding it. There are some powerful data/partition recovery tools (DiskSalv), but I think they were all written in the <4GB era. Using them on your drive now could make the problem worse. There may be a newer (>4GB-friendly) partition-finder tool, but I'm not certain.

OS4's PartitionWizard could help if you have access to an OS4 machine.

In the absence of OS4, you can recover DH7 by restoring it to its exact previous size - down to the cylinder. This will take some trial and error: resize, save changes to drive, reboot; resize, save changes to drive, reboot; etc. It could be a lengthy process - the precision of the size indicator in HDToolbox could mean that there are a dozen or more end cylinders for the partition that correspond to, say, "500MB". It gets even harder if you're in gigabyte territory.

EDIT: Ah, here we go: This tool looks like it will do the hard work of finding the partition dimensions for you. I'm sure Thomas will chime in with some additional advice as well.

Also note that 3.9's HDToolbox lets you save a copy of your RDB out as a raw file or as a mountlist. It's definitely a good practice to make these sorts of backups with some regularity (and store them on another drive) in case of corruption in the RDB or accidental errors. That way you can easily restore your drive's dimensions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:17:45 AM by Matt_H »

• Amiga Enthusiest
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;767930
While gparted and many modern PC/Mac/Linux tools can now resize partitions non-destructively, traditionally, and on the Amiga, resizing a partition is a destructive act. HDToolbox should have given you a warning when you resized it.

So, what options do you have? First, do not format, write, or do anything with the space formerly occupied by DH7. Your data is still there, but the system does not have a recognized partition surrounding it. There are some powerful data/partition recovery tools (DiskSalv), but I think they were all written in the <4GB era. Using them on your drive now could make the problem worse. There may be a newer (>4GB-friendly) partition-finder tool, but I'm not certain.

OS4's PartitionWizard could help if you have access to an OS4 machine.

In the absence of OS4, you can recover DH7 by restoring it to its exact previous size - down to the cylinder. This will take some trial and error: resize, save changes to drive, reboot; resize, save changes to drive, reboot; etc. It could be a lengthy process - the precision of the size indicator in HDToolbox could mean that there are a dozen or more end cylinders for the partition that correspond to, say, "500MB". It gets even harder if you're in gigabyte territory.

EDIT: Ah, here we go: This tool looks like it will do the hard work of finding the partition dimensions for you. I'm sure Thomas will chime in with some additional advice as well.

Also note that 3.9's HDToolbox lets you save a copy of your RDB out as a raw file or as a mountlist. It's definitely a good practice to make these sorts of backups with some regularity (and store them on another drive) in case of corruption in the RDB or accidental errors. That way you can easily restore your drive's dimensions.

Well that looks like a nice tool. but the problem isn't recovering DH7 so much as it is making some new partitions on the drive. it just doesn't recognize them. I  make new partitions and they never show up so I can format them.
Systems:

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »
Quote from: kjmann;767939
Well that looks like a nice tool. but the problem isn't recovering DH7 so much as it is making some new partitions on the drive. it just doesn't recognize them. I  make new partitions and they never show up so I can format them.

Make shore the automount option is enabled in hdtoolbox,

If its on, then maybe its because AmigaOS3.x does not really support large disks, latter some wrote a patch called TD64 to enable 64bit io support, then in 1998 H&P made NSD64 patch for AmigaOS3.5/3.9.

Some filesystems support TD64, and some support NSD64, if you use correct patch, with correct filesystem it should work.

NSD64 became a integrated part of AmigaOS4, and there for no patching is needed anymore, on AmigaOS4.

And then you have PFS but I think its limited to SCSI.

You can try to remount the volumes, after the patch TD64/NSD64 patch is loaded.

If you put this in s:user-startup, replace X with the real unit number of your scsi.device and DHX with real name of your partition.

sys:system/mounter device scsi.device unit X partions DHX

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
OS 3.9 has a file called nsdpatch.cfg in which you might find the necessary lines for your  GVP Impact II SCSI+8

If the lines aren't there, it might be possible add the correct line there.
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Online Thomas

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
Quote from: kjmann;767939
I  make new partitions and they never show up so I can format them.

Please make hardcopies of these three pages in HDToolbox with DH8 selected:

Partition Drive
Change...
Add/Update...

• Amiga Enthusiest
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;767962
Please make hardcopies of these three pages in HDToolbox with DH8 selected:

Partition Drive
Change...
Add/Update...

Thanks Thomas. I added the SmartFile System and it did the trick. Apperently I had a brain fart and forgot that the standard file system was limited to 4 gigs of usage. I had 8 500gb Partitions all set up and when I tried to add more partitions they didn't show. perhaps because of that. then I deleted DH7 (My 8th 500gb partition) and tried to re add it as a 2gb partition. same problem?
Systems:

Online Thomas

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »
As os OS 3.5 FFS does not have any limits any more.

But partitions above the 4GB border will only be mounted if both the file system and the HDD driver can deal with large hard drives.

In your case you probably need the entry for the GVP controller in Devs:NSDPatch.cfg as suggested by FaLLeNOnE.