Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My review of Pegasos+MorphOS  (Read 22663 times)

Description:

Offline SpideyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Spidey
Re: My review of Pegasos+MorphOS
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2003, 12:32:10 PM »
Hello uncharted,

I'll try to do that this evening :-D

I showed the computer to a friend of mine, who knows only about pc's and Windows.
He was impressed by the startup of the system.
I clocked it again, but it takes 25 seconds in total.
Resetting the computer takes the same amount of time. I forgot to clock only the loading of the software.
I'll do that this evening.
Further on I showed him the games and just simple clicking on the desktop was impressing enough for him to think about buying such a system! :-D

To be honest I told him to other wait until this platform has a real future in software (both OS4 and MorphOS) or to buy a pc now.
It is true you get a whole lot of programs already installed with Windows and for now it's more "user-friendly" for beginners.

I managed to find and download MiamiDX. So this evening I'll try that too.
It will a busy evening for me :-D :-D

Spidey

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2003, 01:02:53 PM »

Spidey wrote:
I am sorry Mr_Capehill,

But in the welcome message is written that the makers want to publish pictures of the Ambient screen.

Or else what?  Bill Buck will post a public message about how he's going to sue you for doing it?
 :-P  :roll:
Back away from the EU-SSR!

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2003, 01:39:56 PM »
Hello B00tDisk ,

Or else what? Bill Buck will post a public message about how he's going to sue you for doing it?

I don't think Bill Buck will do all these tiresome actions of starting a webbrowser, going to Amiga.org, logging in and then writing his message, and ofcourse previewing it, correcting it and at last submitting it.
And for what?
Just because some guy posted a picture of the same Ambient screen as is to be seen on his site?
:-D :-D

Seriously, if I had bought a AmigaOne with a beta OS4 on it and in the welcoming message was the same question, I would do it just the same as I'm doing now.

But it is funny to see that when I tell that the screen I see is exactly the same as the screenshots on morphos.de, people still wants screenshots.

Ofcourse I know why. That is why I started this thread. To simply tell you all what comes with this package.
I've read all replies and it is clear to me that some people are already very advanced with trying out (installed Toolmanager, have large user-startups and all). It's unfortunate that they didn't say that in some threads (or I've missed them :-)).

But for now for the interested I'll report my experience with this system, so stay tuned...:-D

Spidey

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2003, 02:57:12 PM »

kolla wrote:
I don't agree... WB itself is years behind everything. At least Ambient implements "sort by name" AFAIR.

Are you suggesting that WB doesnt?

If so.. that is not true, WB (OS3.9) has sort by name, size, date and type.

OOPS. I meant cleanup option in WB. Sry ;)

My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2003, 03:53:38 PM »
@Everyone With MorphOS

Just how themable is MorphOS' Ambient? I was
never happy with the performance penalty of the
window theme patches on Workbench and I have
got used to the WM approach offered with X11 to
have the freedom to select my own WM ( firstly ) and
to use or create multiple themes.

My favourite theme is based on a patch I had for
WB1.3 ( long since forgotton what it was called ) which changed the borders and icons for "new look" and it was quite smart ( smarter than OS2+
for example! ). I now use it with IceWM.

Whats the story on this approach?
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Triumph

• Show only replies by Triumph
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2003, 04:29:52 PM »
Nice to see there are users in Friesland.

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2003, 09:59:38 PM »

Spidey wrote:
Hello B00tDisk ,

Or else what? Bill Buck will post a public message about how he's going to sue you for doing it?

I don't think Bill Buck will do all these tiresome actions of starting a webbrowser, going to Amiga.org, logging in and then writing his message, and ofcourse previewing it, correcting it and at last submitting it.
And for what?
Just because some guy posted a picture of the same Ambient screen as is to be seen on his site?
:-D :-D

Seriously, if I had bought a AmigaOne with a beta OS4 on it and in the welcoming message was the same question, I would do it just the same as I'm doing now.

But it is funny to see that when I tell that the screen I see is exactly the same as the screenshots on morphos.de, people still wants screenshots.

Spidey

Your original statement:

But in the welcome message is written that the makers want to publish pictures of the Ambient screen.

Is what prompted my question.  I think it's ####ing ridiculous that you can't publish screenshots.  My dig was at the idea that if Buck can't (and let's face it folks, the way he (and Ainc) air out their dirty laundry in public is indicitave that they can't) behave in a professional manner then he'd probably publicly announce his intent to sue you for publishing screenshots of ****YOUR**** OS that's on the computer that ***YOU*** own.

That's all.

My ramblings aside, glad you got a good working stable system.  I'm even more glad you got a board layout sheet.  That's more than Eyetech shipped out with it's boards.  How fuggin' stupid.  "Someone on the mailing list can maybe tell you what the jumpers are..." :roll:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2003, 10:22:06 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:

My ramblings aside, glad you got a good working stable system.  

Yeah, me too, nice to see that many people are enjoying thier new systems. :-D

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2003, 10:34:54 PM »

uncharted wrote:

B00tDisk wrote:

My ramblings aside, glad you got a good working stable system.  

Yeah, me too, nice to see that many people are enjoying thier new systems. :-D

No kiddin'.  If I had infinite money reservse I'd buy both just for ####s and giggles!

Well, wait.  I'd buy the A1 if OS4 ever came out.

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2003, 10:41:08 AM »
Hello B00tDisk and uncharted,

....nice to see that many people are enjoying thier new systems

To be honest friends, I'm already happy to have a new computer that has the same workbench-feeling as my beloved A1200! I just mean with this that I have a new computer which isn't a Apple or a pc with Windows or Linux running on it. No it's a computer which resembles more like my A1200, so I can do stuff with it  which I'm already familiar with. :-)

Allright,

Yesterday evening was a major panically disastrous evening for me!! :-x  :-x

To get internet working I have to switch to my A1200 and the Pegasos (long story about lack of multiple monitors and all :-)). In this process my A1200 just died on me :-( :-(
Fortunately I bought a A1200 motherboard last year when the messages told us all about the PCI bridge between the AOne and the A1200 (as you know I was going for a AOne until a while ago). So I had a spare motherboard and a major part of the evening I was busy with my A1200.

I clocked the startup of MorphOS though:

00:02:05 seconds! Incluiding a startup picture that takes also a second. :-D

As told before I upgraded with the boot image of 09 feb 2003, but I simply copied it on top of MorphOS.
Yesterday I saw the original User-Startup was also replaced with an empty one!
In the original User-Startup is the startup of the Amiga emulation and this startup was gone too.
BUT, my DirOpus is working correctly even without it?!!? How is this possible! :-)

There is one nice feature with the right mouseclick:
If you click it on an icon, you'll get options concerning that icon. Do it in a window and you'll get more options in that optionmenu for the window.
And If you right click it once (quick), the menu stays on screen, when you right click it and hold it, you can navigate through that menu and when you release the right click, the menu disappears too :-)
(ok, two nice features :-D)

(Until now I only was used to Magicmenu showing you the menu of the program or workbench you were in)

I didn't have the chance to install MiamiDX correctly on the Pegasos (see above for the reason). This weekend I'm gone, I heard I've got family and friends beside my computer :-D
So my experiment is delayed for now.

Spidey

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2003, 03:36:32 PM »
Here are screen shots for you:

http://www.isoveli.org/~ilkleht/WB.png
http://www.isoveli.org/~ilkleht/WB2.png

Those are screen shots from my MorphOS setup when my Amiga was still working. NewIcons were not working on desktop (I had no Ambient installed) but Intuition replacement was quite neat... *sniff*

--

Ok, got email about those screen shots... So I had to remove those. Sorry folks. Maybe next year! :)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2003, 03:52:14 PM »
@Spidey

Thanks for your impressions of Pegasos and MophOS.

@others who commented

Thanks, this has been an interesting discussion.

------------------
redfox

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2003, 04:50:37 PM »
kinda weird this , but very honest post ...
stateing hyperion games and how much he wants (or they) to run em on the pegasos, if it had been a troll or zealot then it wouldnt have been mentioned.

i appriciate honests posts like this, keep the good work up! , also tell me more about the games u got with the pegasos and how they run, need to know more :)

names and how they act, if they crash etc (i know many of em crash allready but it would be nice if u posted it so we know if its ok or not.... )

thanx alot
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2003, 06:09:04 PM »
@Spidey
You perked my intrest with the TCP/IP issues...  So, I checked with some of the old-time internet gurus.

I have been a long time user of NetConnect on my various Amigas, and even on OS3.5/3.9--I prefer the MUI version of Genesis.  So, I posed the question, "Is the Genesis issue with MOS tcp/ip related or ReAction related?"

Apparantly, the MOS guys I asked seemed to feel that the problem with Genesis was ReAction related. Dig around for the MUI version, and give it a try.

Okay, now to go annoy another thread...
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2003, 06:18:16 PM »
00:02:05 seconds! Incluiding a startup picture that takes also a second.

Just as a frame of reference I just timed my Work PC Boot process:

From power on:  00:00:42 (42 seconds) to a fully loaded WindowsXP Pro desktop ready to run applications (all disk activity finished).

My old Win2K computer took > 2 minutes

My Work System:
P4-2 GHz
GForce 4 Ti 4200 128Mg
512 Meg ram
Old 20 gig UXTA-33 hard drive
Old 10 gig UXTA-33 hard drive
JustLink 40x/12x/48x CDRW
Creative 58X CDRom
Dual 17" Micron Monitors

Loki :-D
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

« Reply #59 from previous page: February 18, 2003, 12:19:31 PM »
Hello lempkee ,

kinda weird this , but very honest post ...

It's true I'm a bit weird and crazy as my friends say this too to me :-D :-D

...also tell me more about the games u got with the pegasos and how they run, need to know more :)

names and how they act, if they crash etc (i know many of em crash allready but it would be nice if u posted it so we know if its ok or not.... )

With this computer I got 5 games:

1. HereticII demo
This I tried yesterday with a 1024x768 screen.
It was a bit slow but everything worked fine.

2. Quake I
This one goes too quick on a 1024x768 screen and on a 1280x1024 screen the speed is about the same as with the HereticII demo.

3. Quake II
This is a bit slower than Quake I.

4. Software Tycoon
I only saw the intro screen and didn't do more with it.

5. Birdie Shoot
This takes more time to load. It works nicely with the mouse and everything. Sometimes you don't hear all sounds together, but that is a minor thing.

With all these games I could just close it and return to the Ambien screen without problems.
I didn't have any crashes while trying.

I'm curious how I can give you framerates, is there an option in Quake to see it?

I'll try some other games this evening :-)

Spidey