Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My review of Pegasos+MorphOS  (Read 22661 times)

Description:

Offline SpideyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Spidey
My review of Pegasos+MorphOS
« on: February 12, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »
Hello all friends,

As I mentioned in one of my few posts I was waiting for my Pegasos to arrive, yesterday was the day for me the waiting was over! :-D

My configuration:
- Pegasos G3 600 MHZ (G4 1GHz on the way :-D)
- 40 GB 7200 rpm
- ATI Radeon 9000 64 MB
- Speakers with mini-subwoofer
- CD-Rewriter
- ICute tower (6 fans in it, no sound at all!! :-))
- Cordless keyboard and mouse (Cherry)

With these I also got the following:
- Paper explaining all connectors of the board
- Paper starting and installing MorphOS
- Paper with welcome message
- A t-shirt (now, don't go mad! I'm also waiting for everything I should get for my €50,- coupon)

Installation:
Installation was a piece of cake.
My dealer had already installed the drive.
So I only had to connect all wires.
Starting up is fast, from the moment you push the ON-button of the computer untill you can play with your mouse is only 23 seconds!!! :-D
All connections worked at once (great thanks to my dealer for that :-))

Later I installed a previously bought DVD-ROM in the case and started the machine and guess what: the drive was recognised and worked immediately in Ambient!!

Software:
There are 5 games with MorphOS to play with. Just check screenshots of MorphOS somewhere on the net.
I installed DirOpus 4.16 and it works. I'm doing all the stuff I want to do with it. It sees the drives and all.
As everybody knows, MorphOS isn't finished yet, so it is trial and error installing applications:
- DirOpus worked from first time
- Genesis (from OS3.9 cd) installs but won't start for now
- Miami3.2B works
- MakeCD works
- more to come after I've tried it... :-)

My general feeling is that MUI-oriented applications work "better" than other kind of applications.
I have to play more with it.
There is good support through mailinglists and FTP-server of MorphOS.

I partitioned my harddrive and could choose from various filesystems, incluiding SFS and PFS. I only checked SFS though.

If anybody wants to hear more...... :-)

Spidey

Re: My review of Pegasos+MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 08:36:25 AM »
blah

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 08:43:34 AM »
Sounds good.....

My general feeling is that MUI-oriented applications work "better" than other kind of applications.

What because they are MUI based or that MUI on MorphOS
is a lot more stable than the other gadget toolkits also
available on MorphOS?

Thanks for this, I think next months disposable income
goes on a Pegasos :-)
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 08:47:00 AM »
Spidey suprised us::
As I mentioned in one of my few posts I was waiting for my Pegasos to arrive, yesterday was the day for me the waiting was over! :-D
;-) Glad to see that you're happy.  Hopefully, the AmigaOne and AmigaOS4.0 aren't far behind...

:-D And yes, do let us know how well other programs work; we're all curious.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 09:09:32 AM »
Interesting. Pegasos rocks. Hope OS4 + AmigaOne are good too.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 09:26:43 AM »
For balance, let me mention some negative points of MOS at its current (unfinished) phase:

- No TCP/IP stack included. Getting software onto your Pegasos is a nightmare, unless you have an Amiga with a CD burner available. Also, using MiamiDX is problematic.

- Theres no support for the floppy drive at all.

- No 3D drivers yet. You can play those 3D games - but only in software mode.

- Ambient (WB replacement) is "years behind workbench".

- MOS is still not 100% stable. Stable enough for limited use (IRC, etc), but not nearly as stable as 68k AmigaOS.

If you think this is FUD, it's not. Consider it a little pressure on the MOS coders to get things right, for some friends. I'm sure they'll get it right soon, but they haven't yet.

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 09:56:46 AM »
Would you please post some screenshots of MorphOS. I haven't seen any recently.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 10:09:26 AM »
Hello KennyR,

Thank you for pointing out the negative side! :-)
I wanted to say something more about internet, but my first mail was long already so I was going to mention it later this day.

As you said, there isn't a TCP/IP stack yet, so you must do it yourself for now.
I tried Genesis and it will not run, because it can't find/open the resource.library. I put this lib everywhere, but still the same error-message.

Miami installed perfectely, but for now it doesn't recognises my built-in ethernetcard and the whole system freezes trying to negotiate with it.

About the 3D: I only looked  (and played) for a second QuakeII, it ran well, but I don't find this interesting. I've got my PS2 for games :-D
So I can't say much in this department :-)
I played a little bit Birdie Shoot, fun, and saw the intro of Software Tycoon. Sound works too.

Ambient is developing, and yes, it doesn't got all the functionalities of workbench.
Like I can't backdrop (Amiga) icons. The icon format is PNG, probably that's the problem. I didn't see the possibility to list in names rather than icons. CLI works. Also the usual commands like Avail, Info, Protect....
(very nice to see with Avail a Chip memory of 450 MB :-D)
But yesterday evening I saw there was a new boot iso with updates (dated 09 feb 2003) and I installed that (just a simple copying on the hd :-)) and presto! I have a lot more possibilites when I rightclick on an icon. So they seem busy enough updating the OS for me at this moment.

So far the system only malfunctioned (the picture of OS3.9 stayed on the screen and a few parse errors of NG) trying to install Genesis from OS3.9 with InstallerNG, after I replaced it with the installer of OS3.9 everything went alright.
The real freezing up I encountered until now only with Miami3.2B.
But ofcourse, I didn't try much so far :-D

I'll let you all know when I've tried more stuff, like Toolsdaemon and YAM.

Spidey

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2003, 10:27:09 AM »
Hello DaveP,

What because they are MUI based or that MUI on MorphOS is a lot more stable than the other gadget toolkits also available on MorphOS?

I really don't know. While trying to run Genesis I had SnoopDos(?) running and Genesis tried to get the gadgets and images from everywhere on the hd. With workbench it is in Classes/Gadgets and Classes/Images.

Miami worked rightaway, but unfortunately the negotion-error stands in my way with internet-connection :-(

I guess Genesis has something to do with Reaction of OS3.9??? I heard that there is a MUI-version too of Genesis? I'll know enough if that version works on my new system (for the MUI-theory :-)).

Spidey

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2003, 10:29:55 AM »
Keep us informed! We want input! :P give us, give us :-D

Starting up is fast, from the moment you push the ON-button of the computer untill you can play with your mouse is only 23 seconds!!!

I heard that wanted only 5 seconds but I think that this was after a reboot. How much time it takes to play with your mouse after a reset?

Do the icons have a second state when they are clicked?
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2003, 10:32:13 AM »
I am sorry Mr_Capehill,

But in the welcome message is written that the makers want to publish pictures of the Ambient screen.

But I can say to you that the few screens you can see on www.morphos.de (rightside for links) are exactly what I have on my computer, oh, direct link to one of them:

http://apollo.rsn.bth.se/~osnews/img/2337/morphos1.jpg

Spidey

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2003, 10:32:33 AM »
Here!
At last,we have some Unbiased reviews of this product,hope this helps people to do the same,whatever product is reviewed.

AmigaOne X1000

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 10:33:12 AM »
@KennyR
Well.. it's still at works, and IMHO not fully suitable to be given to 'non adwanced users'.  But OS comes in price of system and updates are free, so it's a good start. :-P

One thing you and others here might not know is that  latest MOS version is from  sunday (9th Feb 2003).  And based  what I have heard from Non-developer MOS users, it's a lot better on that usability/stability compared to that older Pre-Xmas release.

There are actually many 3D drivers in package, but all are for those older cards (like woodoos), Radeon 3D drivers are not yet there.  Otoh, Q2 works faster on Pegasos using software render than on old wos-PPC Amigas with HW support.   :-D

I have heard same about networking... A bit sad but considering how long MIami has been abandonware it's a bit difficult to make them work together 100%.

IMHO Amiga Workbench was never any 'high usability tool'... Well, ofcourse if one add tens of hack to it it'll become much more usable, but compared to Plain WB I don't think Ambien has much to lose. And One thing Ambient definitely has better, it looks can be configured widely in system-friendly way.  

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 10:37:04 AM »
Hello Dagon,

The main part of these 23 seconds are the initialising part of the hardware itself. The actual loading of the software (MorphOS) is just a few seconds. I'll clock it this evening for you :-)

Resetting is pretty long too, I clocked 25.53 seconds until I could play again with the mouse.

The second state for icons right now is a transparant different color. I guess you can change this with MUI preferences? (I'm not a expert with  MUI)

Spidey

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2003, 10:37:07 AM »
Thank you for pointing out the negative side!

You're welcome. ;-)

I tried Genesis and it will not run, because it can't find/open the resource.library. I put this lib everywhere, but still the same error-message.

OS3.9 on MOS needs some special setup to work (so I hear). resource.library is just a kind of "security feature" to stop anyone using OS3.9 system tools on lower OS versions. After the fix all OS3.9 software and ReAction will work with MOS. Go to #morphos on irc.vapor.net (or irc.vapor.com?) and they'll be pleased to help.

The icon format is PNG, probably that's the problem.  

This I didn't know! Urgh! Wrong tool for the wrong job IMHO.