Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiKit 1.6.0: The biggest update ever! Now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  (Read 9720 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Have never used AmiKit but I downloaded the Windows version just now to try it out. :)

Here is some feedback:

In the Swedish installer, the letter å isn't working, it displays some other strange character instead.

When the installer gets to the point where it says "installing more than 30,000 AmiKit files", the progress bar quickly reaches 100%, obviously before those 30,000 files are installed, because you have to wait quite some time at that point, giving the impression that the install process has stalled. IMHO a progress bar could be used in a better way.

I installed AmiKit on my E:\ partition, but WinUAE seems to be configured to load the ROM from C:\AmiKit\ROMs\ which in my case doesn't exist. The pre-configured HDD is also pointing at C:\AmiKit\AmiKit, which in my case doesn't exist.

Maybe I'm clueless, but it was impossible for me to install from either AmigaOS3.9 or Amiga Forever 2011. No matter what I did, it didn't find/recognize the volume. Only when I mounted the CD in WinUAE as a *HDD* it was found and the install process could go on.

And finally I got it working! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
Posting this from NetSurf in AmiKit... :)

(This browser was a real PITA to use BTW, not easy to use something else on an Amiga after you got used to Odyssey on MorphOS ;))

• Show all replies
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676813
Posting this from NetSurf in AmiKit... :)

(This browser was a real PITA to use BTW, not easy to use something else on an Amiga after you got used to Odyssey on MorphOS ;))

Speaking of NetSurf (it was the first time I have come in contact with this program) - It's more than obvious that NetSurf isn't integrated to use the Amiga native GUI, which is one of the major shortcomings and probably a big reason to why it's so difficult to use (beyond it's limited feature set), but I must ask the question (look at the attached picture): Is this normal? Is there a setting to avoid this?

• Show all replies
Well, it's very obvious that a lot of work has been put into this AmiKit package, it's a very nice bundle! A very slick classic Amiga environment! :)

Is there a plan to make use of Grunch in the future? That would be a great! :)

• Show all replies
Quote from: AmiKit;676820
Jag är ledsen.
:)

Hmm, the installer should be unicode...

The Swedish language uses three special letters; Åå, Äö and Öö, the two latter works just fine AFAICT...

Yep, there's a large 7z archive unpacking in background.
In the past I used to have more 7z archives (each one containing a separate drawer of AmiKit structure, like C.7z, Classes.7z, etc.). This way I could update the progress step by step, drawer by drawer. But the overall size of the AmiKit archive was much bigger.

Then this is probably the better way after all...

Oops. I forgot to set the relative paths in the revision I uploaded this night.

Oops. Another stupid mistake. From now on I won't upload anything during nights anymore :)

Thanks god :-)
I will re-upload fixed version, could you please test it for me? I will send you a PM. Thanks.

Sure! :)

Another thing, I seem to be having an issue with saving the prefs.

I found a web page discussing this issue (regarding WinUAE on Windows Vista and Windows 7), see the "Important" paragraph:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Amiga_3.html

I don't know if that's related to the ROM/HDD path issue I mentioned above? Maybe so? Maybe the configuration files should be saved in the user's personal folder path instead?

I have close to zero experience with UAE myself, so please forgive my ignorance...

• Show all replies
Quote from: AmiKit;676829
What issue exactly? To save the WinUAE configuration settings, simply switch to Configurations section, mark the "AmiKit" entry and hit the Save button.

Of course, that's what I do, tried it many times. But after a restart, it turns out that nothing was really saved.

Strange...

• Show all replies
Quote from: AmiKit;676986
Thanks for the feedback. The installer is fixed for real now :-)

I've tried the fixed version and can confirm that the ROM-path and HDD-path is now correctly set from the installer, and the CD-ROM recognition works.