Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would this be any good for WinUAE?  (Read 4481 times)

Description:

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show all replies
Re: Would this be any good for WinUAE?
« on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »

I'm actually trying winUAE on my old AMD k6-2/380 with 512mb and xp pro. it works fairly well although I beleive that it's really sluggish with the games.

By the way, I've used the K6-2/380MHz for years... It overclocks nicely to 400MHz without any heat issues. Win2k and XP bog that system down too much however, and I'd recommend using Win98 SE instead. Even replacing explorer with WinUAE as your shell.

I agree the upgrade is necessary for any serious UAE enthusiast, as even with everything running in its favor you'll still have some speed trouble.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 02:40:56 AM »
No no no... Ugh... Why would anyone use software to do what you can do with a simple text editor (ie: EDIT.COM) on the fly? Just create two shell= lines in win.ini and comment one of them out.

shell=x:\path\winuae\winuae.exe
;shell=c:\windows\explorer.exe

easy money.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:52:11 AM »

ShadesOfGrey wrote:
I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but I really don't appreciate being criticized for being helpful.  

It wasn't my intent to criticize your suggestion per se... More like the writing of said software in the first place.

It just annoys me when people write programs that do little but suck up memory / resources to accomplish a simple task. Especially true when the "goal" here is a clean environment for running WinUAE. Even a custom boot menu in the autoexec.bat would work better.

That said, I had not taken into account using NT4/5. I can understand the use of a shell switcher in that case.
- Doc