Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!  (Read 14511 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:05 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;588940
I still don't understand why you guys want this. AROS was originally designed to be an open sorced re-implementation of WB3.1.
AROS still hasn't been polished enough to br released as a 1.0 package.
If ported to a 68K its likely to be slower and buggier than what you currently use.

Are copyright concerns that significant that it makes sense to expend so much energy just to realize what you already have?

Firstly, the people involved in 68k AROS/kickstart replacement werent working on AROS prior to this bounty, so no resources are lost. Also having AROS run on a real 68k Amiga will help greatly in improving api compatibility for other architectures as well as helping with bug fixing. There's also things like minimig, natami, and variations on UAE that benefit. Additionally it can help with UAE intergration in non 68k targets without the need for commercial ROM images. There's a lot of benefits it brings to both AROS and Amiga OS. I don't really understand how people think otherwise.

Oh, and cool stuff in regards to the original post/first screenshot :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:07:02 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »
Quote from: warpdesign;589228
Btw, if it's open source why do I need an account to have read-access to the sources ?

From the website:

Seems like some parts can be checked out without an account, but I followed the instructions here http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/search/b3650ddf5bd56e88b6d8277ed7a55ccd41589434?s=jmcmullan;st=author and couldn't do it because it asked for a login/pass...

Why not just download the sources then ?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
Quote from: TheGoose;589161
If this is open source software, why do they need to make up their own license?:

http://aros.sourceforge.net/license.html

( based on MPL mozilla public license? )

Why don't they just distribute with  a real license (GNU / General Public License)?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

Err,... maybe because different license conditions are wanted ?  You do realise there's many different licenses for open source projects dont you ? Not everything is GPL.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:55:54 AM by fishy_fiz »