Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android  (Read 8659 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Android
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I'm more concerned if RIM will actually be in business as a handset maker in 2-3 years, tbh.  They are absolutely hemorrhaging cash atm.

I smell a buyout coming.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
Quote from: Duce;698707
You will likely be unhappy with BB devices unless you have enterprise needs that warrant owning one.

True, though the playbook runs a derivative of QNX and as such is interesting from a geek perspective :)
int p; // A

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
never thought I would say this, and I have had enough "discussions" with bloodline over the years, but I live my iPhone 4.  I think iOS is a really good polished OS.  I always thought everyhting being lockes down and uniform would be an issue, its not.

It means everyhting does just work , the same and as expected.  I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality. This needs to change.

RIM do not make good phones/OS.  If it was not for every compnay in the world giving them to their staff to check emails, they would have long gone.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
Quote from: JJ;698718
never thought I would say this, and I have had enough "discussions" with bloodline over the years, but I live my iPhone 4.  I think iOS is a really good polished OS.  I always thought everyhting being lockes down and uniform would be an issue, its not.

It means everyhting does just work , the same and as expected.  I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality. This needs to change.

RIM do not make good phones/OS.  If it was not for every compnay in the world giving them to their staff to check emails, they would have long gone.

Yup, iOS is polished and works, simple as that. I love having an iOS based phone that I can depend on... That said I wouldn't run iOS on my Raspberry Pi even if I could, as that is not a device I depend on, but a device for having some fun with.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Quote from: desiv;698660
You mean like these: http://www.androidauthority.com/best-keyboard-qwerty-android-phones-2012-55315/
Out of these the Droid 4 is the only sensible one. Unfortunately it is not available outside of USA.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
Quote from: JJ;698718
I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks

Wow, what are you doing in an Amiga forum then? :p

and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A smartphone that cannot even display a simple calender widget with my appointments rather seems of little use to me to be honest.

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality.

Freedom of choice, customizability... Some of the main points that made the Amiga such a great platform.

This needs to change.

No.

Offline Opus

• Show only replies by Opus
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
I fell for Symbian many years back, I find many similarities between Amiga and Symbian, dieing OS, ahead of it's time, small/fast OS.....I love my Nokia N8!  emulators galore too!  uae, c64, sega, mame, granted some are a little sluggish but it works

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Colani1200;698733
Wow, what are you doing in an Amiga forum then? :p

A smartphone that cannot even display a simple calender widget with my appointments rather seems of little use to me to be honest.

Notifications do just fine... My appointments are available me with a simple swipe down the screen. iOS has plenty of limitations, but please make sure you are current with iOS before you criticise something x

Freedom of choice, customizability... Some of the main points that made the Amiga such a great platform.

But at the expense of reliability and consistency... You can't have it both ways really :)

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;698736
Notifications do just fine... My appointments are available me with a simple swipe down the screen.

OK, they copied the notification bar from Android. Still, this is not a widget you can place on the screen where you like and where it best catches your eye.

But at the expense of reliability

Not really.

and consistency...

Maybe. ;-)

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Is Android important enough to post on an Amiga site?
Is UAE for Android a good enough reason? :)
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

:-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Colani1200;698740

:-)
That is very awesome! Though, as I have discovered, the Amiga UI/games do really suck on a touch screen ;)

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;698742
That is very awesome! Though, as I have discovered, the Amiga UI/games do really suck on a touch screen ;)

So true... What even sucks more is the 600 MHz ARM6 CPU in my phone. But I would imagine that UAE might run quite nicely on a decent device.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »
Quote from: Colani1200;698745
So true... What even sucks more is the 600 MHz ARM6 CPU in my phone. But I would imagine that UAE might run quite nicely on a decent device.
Interestingly enough I'm currently trying to get FS-UAE to compile on my Raspberry Pi which has similar specifications to that!

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;698746
Interestingly enough I'm currently trying to get FS-UAE to compile on my Raspberry Pi which has similar specifications to that!

I am sure it'll be much faster on the Pi since no Java is involved there and it provides better gfx acceleration than the ZTE Blade.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 02, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;698746
Interestingly enough I'm currently trying to get FS-UAE to compile on my Raspberry Pi...
Kind of like this:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?p=327101&highlight=raspberry+uae#post327101

;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.