Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (FIXED) Seeking PC help from system building gurus  (Read 4318 times)

Description:

Offline motrucker

Re: Seeking PC help from system building gurus
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 30, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this until the problem was found. Glad you found the issue though...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:50 PM »
This defently sounds like a software issue not hardware as you say it works fine with Sp2 only goes bad with sp3. Are you using driver from nvidia site or driver from gfx card maker eg HIS or asus ect. Are you adding sp3 after xp is installed or is it a sp3 version of xp with sp3 already included. IF not may be worth trying xp + sp3 included. Also are you running bare install no virus software running or any thing else just XP?

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;602868
I don't know abount that, the driver's date was 2001. My early 00's business dell laptop with XP has this driver showing under Device Manager, System Devices. This driver is not specific to the ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card. If you mean it should allow sound to be passed through the HDMI, that is possible and likley. I have never done this, the speakers are hooked directly to the PCI sound card.

UAA is a class driver for audio devices similar to the class drivers used for USB devices, i.e. a single USB mass storage device class driver can support mass storage devices from many different vendors. It was an effort by Microsoft to provide system-level support for standard sound devices, something better than legacy Sound Blaster compatibility. There's never been a VESA-style standard for audio devices. (Actually, there is: VBE/AI. Heard of it? Me neither.)

Your AMD display adapter may advertise itself as UAA-compliant under Windows 7 without being 100% UAA compliant. As I said earlier, Nvidia ships its own audio drivers. I don't know what AMD does. It's unfortunate that neither worked properly under Windows XP, but it's not surprising given the age of Microsoft's driver and their inability to validate future hardware before it's manufactured. They need the right kind of Doctor. ;-)

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
Radeons require an HDMI sound driver for the UAA part: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx#3 - w/o it I never had any problems but a driverless device in DM.