Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Technical Support"  (Read 3537 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: "Technical Support"
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 10, 2004, 05:34:20 AM »
File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.71 (0002) built by: WinDDK, size=16512 bytes, created 17/07/2002 10:05:10

See Roxio stuff!  :-)  Heheh, I see you used hacked firmware.  How is Ahead supposed to help with that?  You should have contacted NEC because it was a hardware issue.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 08:21:03 AM »
@ Adolescent:

Actually, I visited the NEC online support first, and there I found updated firmware for the drive. (I had V2.15 and they offered V2.16) The latest in fact. I updated immediately. Also, there was a small warning from NEC not to use patched or hacked drive firmware (particularly from Herrie.org). The latest NEC firmware didn't solve my problem so I used Herrie's patched firmware and it solved my problem.
It was indeed a hardware problem, I have acknowledged that right from the beginning of this thread. It has nothing to do with ASPI drivers. Don't forget I could always write a 4gb disc, on both R*xio and Nero, but I use the R*xio mainly for Drag-to-disc.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 08:28:31 AM »
Ok.
Being a "poorly-paid first-level technical support person", I believe that I can give some clarification about the call centre issue:

Technical support, regardless of the form, are given at call centres. Period. There are a few exceptions, like extremely small companies, but you won't find any major hardware/software vendor, that has it's own support.

The guality of english-speaking support has decreased over the last few years, as most english-language support has been moved to India or some other low-wage country. Large call-centre companies basically hire people off the street, as long as they speak good enough english. People don't want to talk to technicians that doesn't speak good english, so the technically skilled staff aren't preferred.

As the techies hired aren't the most technically enlightened people in the world, the engineers and programmers has to create rules for the them. Those rules have to be followed blindly; often it does not really matter if the technician know of a better sollution, as he's not really allowed to give it. Problems related to the operating system, or other software vendors will not be dealt with at all. In those cases a re-install is often recomended.

As the Scandinavian languages aren't spoken around the world as English is, it's somewhat easier to get skilled staff here. Linguistical skills aren't hard to find, so technical abilities can actually be requested.
Most Scandinavian support is resided in Sweden, as the wages here are lower than in Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

Anyway, there is nothing causing so many problems as the fact that men generally refuse to read the manuals. Questions coming from women are generally more technically challenging! :lol:
Beating the dead horse since 2002.