Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IBM model M keyboard  (Read 2187 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
IBM model M keyboard
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
Just got this in the mail. Built in 1993, weighs as much as my wife's laptop, sounds like a typewriter.. and its ****ing amazing.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: IBM model M keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
Show us some pics, I love those old IBM keyboards. Some of them were as heavy as tanks, and you KNEW when you pressed a key! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
I've got one of these at work, as my coworker's computer had its PS/2 port conk out ;D Best keyboard I've ever used, hands-down.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Very loyal following for those Model M kb's, real solid bit of hardware.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
Steam Punk edition! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
It is indeed one of the best keyboards ever manufactured. Unfortunately there just is no way to use it at work for me - quiet operation is required.

At Home: Sadly the UNICOMP-Keyboard is not 100% like the originals from the 80`s but I figured I find the extra (Windows-)Keys actually useful and there is a minor defect on my real Model-M that makes using the alt-key a pain.

The UNICOMP is the closest you can come to a real Model-M. I think it´s even better than some Model-M keyboards from the late 90s, but I might be wrong.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;652279
It is indeed one of the best keyboards ever manufactured. Unfortunately there just is no way to use it at work for me - quiet operation is required.

At Home: Sadly the UNICOMP-Keyboard is not 100% like the originals from the 80`s but I figured I find the extra (Windows-)Keys actually useful and there is a minor defect on my real Model-M that makes using the alt-key a pain.

The UNICOMP is the closest you can come to a real Model-M. I think it´s even better than some Model-M keyboards from the late 90s, but I might be wrong.

IBM made silent model-Ms - achieved very easily by packing the spring mech with grease!

Model-Ms are the greatest keyboards ever made.  I have had the one I am currently typing on for 13 years and it is frigging indestructible.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
Don't think I'd ever go back to buckling spring, but i do have my eyes on a torpe...

Offline murph

• Show only replies by murph
    • http://murph.info
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:14:05 AM »
I have these on all of my machines, they are the best.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 04:06:15 AM »
Quote from: lsmart;652279

I love the Unicomp versions, plenty close to the original and worth every penny.  I bought the USB version for use at the office and I swear my typing improved.

If it wasn't so loud I'd buy one for home too, but since I tend to be the last one in bed it would probably be a problem.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:10 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;652469
I love the Unicomp versions, plenty close to the original and worth every penny.  I bought the USB version for use at the office and I swear my typing improved.

Are the UNICOMP versions heavy?  Like, physically heavy, like an original Model-M?

This is an important factor.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I am using one of these with my Aros machine. Excellent keyboard. But the Amiga keyboards manufactured by Cherry weren't bad either. Hard to decide which one I'd prefer.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;652474
Are the UNICOMP versions heavy?  Like, physically heavy, like an original Model-M?

This is an important factor.

They are very solid, perfect for self defense ;)

It feels a lot heavier than any other keyboard I've seen recently, but it's been so long since I saw a real model M that I can't say.

USB and the Windows keys outweigh any of the other differences to me.  The key caps and action were the main things I wanted.