Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Totally committed...... and new ☄ ♖  (Read 1744 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Totally committed...... and new ☄ ♖
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Quote from: Dr.Bongo;712069
If I was you I'd be looking at getting one of these -

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=1102

It would make your machine great for WHDload with the extra memory and speed increase.

Here's a guide to setting up classic workbench -

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25632&d...

All you need to do with your kickstart ROM is change it. No further setup is required.

I kinda wish that was out when I was buying the ACA 630/25. I do think I am under utilizing it and that would have probably given me enough power for whdload.

But then again I am happy with it. :knuddel:

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
As did I lol.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Quote from: JPondRobocod;712074
Thanks a pretty cool chip!! very expensive for me though.. im currently saving up for my home and family one day and every little bit counts...
ACA 620 Accelerator with 9MB RAM
will defintely keep it in mind when i've got a really large deposit down pat.

Thats not a bad price for an accelerator. The accelerator that is in my 600 was, give a few pennies, £147. So the price of the other is very reasonable. Although I don't know if you would need a new psu for it.

But like you I saved like mad for all the goodies in mine. The accelerator was the single most expensive bit. Followed by the scan doubler, the HxC then the memory expansion and finally the HDD.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
Quote from: JPondRobocod;712080
The accelerator basically ramps up the amount of cpu clock cycles, scandoubler creates double the scanlines for doubled resolution i am not that knowledgable but is that correct? and what does the HxC do?

Check here for info on a flicker fixer. I got one and I can now use my Amiga 600 on an LCD monitor or even my 50 inch plasma without issue. Be aware that you need the A604 trapdoor expansion in order to get it to work on a 600. As for the accelerator...

Well I don't actually know enough on them to give you an accurate description. So I won't try to explain it. But I am sure someone with the technical knowledge will be able to explain how they work.

The HxC however is a floppy drive emulator that works on most retro computers. Essentially it reads a disk image, HFE format, from an SD card and then acts like a really floppy drive would have done. Clicks and skweals included. If your not too fussed about using physical media then this might be an option. It's pricey but compared to the price of the various bit you would need in order to play games via whdload it can be cheaper.

Quote from: Rob;712085

The accelerator card at Amigakit will be best to makes full use of WHDload since some of the games won't work without the additional memory on the card.

The Amiga 600 won't run AGA games.

Yup I learnt this the hard way. I tried running whdload on a pretty vanilla 600, just a 2mb trapdoor expansion, and ran into lots of issues. Some games worked, some would work then crash and others would refuse to load at all. Fitting an accelerator solved that by giving me 32mb of fast RAM along with the 2mb of trapdoor that came with the A604 and the obvious CPU boost from the 25mhz 030.

Basically I would say it like this.

If your wanting to load games from a HDD and take advantage of whdload you need and accelerator because your going to quickly run into brick walls. If your not too fussed about this then either stick to physical media or get an HxC and a 1gb SD card.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
Quote from: Rob;712087
The HxC is an SD card based floppy emulator that will plug into the Amiga's internal floppy port and allow you to boot from ADF images images on the Amiga.  I think's about the same price as the ACA620 and WHDload + ACA620 would be my preferred solution for running games.

Just need to mention the HxC does not read ADF images. You have to convert them using a bit of supplied software into the HFE format the reader uses. Because it's a multi system reader it can't read every available format. But it's simple enough to convert them and the batch converter did 70 ADF's into HFE in seconds. The HxC is also 82.40 EUR (£67.05 at time of writing) so it's swings and roundabouts. Depends what he ultimately wants to do with his miggy. But yes it's not a cheap hobby lol. But fun and rewarding.