Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your first ever Amiga experience?  (Read 3775 times)

Description:

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
Re: Your first ever Amiga experience?
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 31, 2004, 02:17:03 PM »
my first amiga expereince was around '94 when i was playing on a mates A500+
i loved it and enjoyed all the games, but i didnt get my first amiga until 98 which was an A600.
In 2000 i got an A1200 which i sold to get an A1, got the A1 wasnt impressed, and in February 2003 i got another A1200 which i use for the old games. it sits here in fantastic condition nice and white  :-)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2004, 02:21:06 PM »
[color=FF3300]COOL!!!!!!!  THNAKS PUNK!!!! got and will use it on my roomies :-D[/color]
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline amipal

• Show only replies by amipal
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »
When my first Amiga arrived, it was a glorious day... Ay first, I was disappointed, as I was hoping to get an Atari ST (was impressed at the time, and I liked the italic-style F-keys ;-) ). But once I started playing on the A500, damn I was grateful!

My first memory of it was Gordon Hardwood delivering the thing to our house, but then leaving on the doorstep in the pooring rain - surprise surprise, it didn't work!
Once we got  a replacement, New Zealand Story was the first game I ever played on it. :-)
After a decade away from the scene, I am back!

Offline mikey2001

• Show only replies by mikey2001
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2004, 04:33:38 PM »
My first Amiga experience was around '88-89 when I saw my mate's A500. I really wanted one but I could never afford a computer until Jan 96 when I bought an A1200. I now have four Amigas: the A1200, an A2000, an A300UX and an A4000D!  :-)
Mike

Offline thorrin

• Show only replies by thorrin
    • http://thorrin.hopto.org
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2004, 07:07:23 PM »
Hmmm, the first time I ever SAW an Amiga, I was in Games and Gadgets (now Electronics Boutique)around 1986.  It was running Marble Madness.  That game was UNREAL for 86.

Then I went over to a friends house and he had a 500.  He was running some adventure game and then in the background he was downloading a file.  Blew my mind!  

I was strictly a C64/128 guy at that point.  Seeing what this guy's amiga could do was something that I couldnt comprehend.  I went to college in 89 and lost interest in computers for a few years, but in 93 I got my first miggy, a 1200 with a 14.4 modem and 1084.  Cost me about $1500 bucks  :-D  I've been hooked ever since.

I used to LOVE showing off my 14 mhz amiga multitasking with 10 megs vs the top of the line 486es.  The demos that were out at that time KILLED anything that was on a PC.

Anyone remember the amiga commerical with the ballerina?  Thats the only time I remember seeing the amiga advertised on TV (US).

-Thorrin
The best part about it was when I got paid...

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2004, 08:03:12 PM »
First Amiga I saw was a 1000 'round a friend's house - man, it was the most elegant looking piece of computer hardware I'd ever seen - no compromises, just perfect! Then he put on "Defender of the Crown" and I was sold that very instant - awesome graphics, amazing sound - truly stunning. To cap it all off he then booted up Deluxe Paint and the rest is history - I've had 2 A500's, one A1200, a CD32 and an A4000 desktop since (plus lots of hardware addons). Good memories...   :-)
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline Bridge

• Show only replies by Bridge
    • http://www.ethicalwebsites.com
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2004, 10:58:16 PM »
Hi

T'was about 1988ish when I first saw an Amiga... and was at the time much more into Atari as a friend had one - I couldn't see the point of no midi port as standard (even though my friend didn't use midi on his ST).

Anyhows, jumping to 1990ish onwards some friends and I would spend EVERY (and I do literally mean EVERY) evening after school + weekends (although weekends eventually became for RPGs - what geeks we were!) playing on an A500 + 512kb upgrade.

I remember Bloodwych 2-player, and some flight "sim" with a green floor, blue sky and wireframe planes (the best was the paper aeroplane) doing dog-fights... and Beach Volley, North and South, etc.

I was absolutely gobsmacked by the quality of the games - then in 1993 for my 18th birthday my dad asked if I wanted a PC and I was all "no no it has to HAS TO be an A1200" - I got the A1200, booted it up and saw wb3.0 - and immediately started tinkering with it for hours - awesome fun.

Year later got a 170mb HDD from my parents (cost over £300!).

I think I could write a book on how much fun I've had with the miggy.

-Bridge, Miggy lover =:@)

Offline Viking

• Show only replies by Viking
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2004, 11:48:55 PM »

A500 in 1988, maybe 1989. Played POC, Oil Imperium, Stunt Car Racer, It Came
From The Desert and many other games. Some experiments with music.

I was hooked, the Amiga got me. I had become a believer.

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2004, 11:57:12 PM »
1990 was when I had my first Amiga experience.  At the time I had an Amstrad CPC464.  I went to a mate's house and the first thing that he showed me (ahem) ws Kindwords 2.  Now, although this may sound strange, it did totally blow my mind and I resolved to get one.  After that we played Wings and my jaw dropped - incredible!  I made my Dad look at Kindwords which, unsurprisingly, impressed him immensely after the Amstrad and I have been an Amiga user almost ever since.  However, my Dad fails to grasp how superior the Amiga was back then and take it very much for granted.  He is at that odd age where a computer is still fascinating but you imagine it to be instrinsically capable of anything that you demand of it!  He becomes very irate when I explain that he can't complete his desired task on his PC, no matter how bizarre it is.  Needless to say, it is I who bears the brunt of his anger! Tis a strange world.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2004, 12:33:31 AM »
Games like Monkey Island, Bubba and Stix, Ultimate Soccer Manager, SWOS, and Flashback really impressed me in 95 but it would be another 3 years til I got my first A600.
Then I sold up, got a 500. Sold that, got a A1200 in 2000.
Towered it, sold it in 2002
Got another 1200 in Feb 2003 to remain in desktop form for games, its in fantastic condition nice and white.

Now I have an A600 in the post for all the games w hich wont run on the A1200.  :-D
I love my Classic Amigas!!!
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.